97 Bayliner Maxum trying to locate the paint code or a way to get touch up

gica

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to get something similar to the original 2 tone so I can mix with gel past in order to repair some dings on the boat. I uploaded 2 pictures that show the 2 colors. I Called up Bayliner and got the bottom color as 1717997 Dream White and the Blue as 1720004 Mica Mist but I called Spectrum and that last number doesn't exist. I know there must be people out there with at least one of these colors, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo275751.jpg
    photo275751.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275752.jpg
    photo275752.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a 21 year old boat. you wont get a perfect gel match no mater what you do.

you can get a universal kit and try to match to your best ability.

tpenfield

Staff member
I never heard of a Bayliner Maxum . . . could that be the issue? Is it a Bayliner or a Maxum?

gica

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know I actually researched this but it seems that Maxxum (two x's)Marine only handle aluminum boats. So only Bayliner.com handles the glass Maxums. SO for info had to contact Bayliner site.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Maxum was a brand of boats that was killed off by Brunswick in 2009. there were two plants, pipestone and salisbury
Bayliner is a brand of boats still being produced by Brunswick. there are 4 plants, knocksville, dandridge, arlington and reynosa

they are two separate boats

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Either Spectrum or GCP near Seattle would be the companies with the colors already matched. And while those are the codes used by Maxum, they aren't the codes used by the gel coat company that supplied it. If you supply one of these companies with a sample they can match it for you, but it means cutting out a section of your boat.

rkinross

Cadet
I have has similar issues trying to find a match for my Rinker v-hull. I went to several big box stores and selected paint sample cards that I thought were very close to my boat color. I sent the sample that was the best match into Spectrum with a letter explaining I would like to get a patch paste kit as close to the paint sample as possible. They were no help. The best they could offer is to sell me a gallon of custom mixed gelcoat for approx $250. It also should be noted that Spectrum supplies Rinker with all the gelcoat they use for manufacturing. Spectrum has the technology to color scan and decide pigment to be used for colors. They just do not want to do this for $30 patch paste kits.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
The first thing I would suggest is a rotary buffer, wool pad, pad spur, and aggressive rubbing compound. I also like to use 3m trizact to scrub the surface clean and knock down some of the oxidation. In other words buff the hell out of it to get the best color you can get. The reason scratches look so bad is because they have sharp jagged edges that catch light. If you sand the area down slightly and then buff it up to a good shine, you?ll round off the edges and minimize the appearance of the scratches to something you mind find acceptable without applying fresh gel coat.