Suggestions for draining/siphoning fuel from Skeeter tanks

IFishMN

Recruit
I've got a 2005 Skeeter WX1880. I filled both fuel tanks a few weeks ago expecting to get the boat out on the river. Plans changed and once again I'm approaching storage season with full tanks. I tried to send a silicon hose down the fuel filler so I could siphon the gas before storing the boat. But the hose seemed to encounter an obstacle/obstruction and I wasn't able to get the job done.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to siphon the gas from this boat. In the past I've siphoned from the fuel line (the line feeding into the engine) but it's a very long slow process with such a small line. I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the more elegant solution is to put the boat in the water and go for a ride

otherwise drain like you have in the past or pull the sender and siphon out that way.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess the OP is in Minnesota where the 4 seasons are nearly winter, winter, still winter and bad sledding. which means that the water is starting to freeze

IFishMN

Recruit
my guess the OP is in Minnesota where the 4 seasons are nearly winter, winter, still winter and bad sledding. which means that the water is starting to freeze

Correct! I'm not confident I'll have a chance to get it on the water before I need to put it away for the year. I plan to drain the tanks, run the lines/injectors dry.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
In our little Armada of pals boats we all put our boats away with full tanks. (we are up to 12 boats now in our little fishing club) I add 2+4 as directed for phase separation, in Canada and we have more than 4 seasons. Never had a problem with the fuel in the spring.

There is always the discussion, store full, part full or100% MT. In my experience moisture collects in MT tanks of all metals including Al. Then you have water in your gas in the spring.

Last edited:

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Ive got some proven results from the northwet over a half dozen years of what is best as far as storing fuel. We have a high ethanol content. my old boat ( :) :) ) now my little boat. Holds 40 gallons of fuel its wet cold hot cold through the winter. I tried for a number of years to determine the best way to store it. the end result i now power my electric fuel pump. Up with the line disconnected and run every bit of fuel out of the tank at the end of the season. I tried stabilizers half tank low tank ful tank and the unanimous winner is none is better than any level at all. I put about 5 gallons of premium in it in the spring and it runs great after that tank I replace the filter and fill er up. If you do not have an electric fuel pump $30 to $50 on ebay or from your local parts house will get you one split the line put the pump as close to the tank and fill your cars up. You will do this every year after trying it. Any fuel left in the tank will have moisture aged weak varethane fuel in it. If you have a steel tank would be the only reason to keep it full. Steel tanks can rust with no fuel but 5 gallons will be enough to full the air gap with fuel vapors and reduce rust. Lack of oxygen will prevent or reduce rust but I dont know of any boat tanks made of steel.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
As has been discussed here before be careful, very careful using an electric pump to drain fuel from a tank.

O2 will enter any vessel if vented. They are not 100% sealed.

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't help with draining the tank, but I'll just say I keep a boat in Minnesota all year in an unheated garage and I don't drain the tank.This boat gets used for 2 weeks each Spring and goes untouched the rest of the year. At the end of my trip I just add some Seafoam or Sta-bil to the tank and forget about it. The boat and motor are a 1997 and I've owned them since 2004. Never had any any problems with the fuel system at all.