How to get a Watercraft / Boat Title in Indiana

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is the process I went through to obtain a Watercraft Title in the State of Indiana as an out of state resident. Let me start off by saying what everyone should know, when possible make sure the boat you buy has a title. If the boat does not have a title, have the current owner apply for the title before you buy the boat. If you still have no way to get a title and you really want the boat, you can follow the steps I have outlined below.

I went to a Lake County branch office of the Indiana BMV to get a watercraft title for my 1977 Starcraft 18? Super Sport which I purchased in Indiana. When I purchased the boat in 2015, I was only required to have a Bill of Sale for registration, but Indiana laws changed in 2016 that requires all boats to have titles. Even though I purchased the boat legally in 2015 and received a Bill of Sale, I now needed to obtain a title for me to register the boat in another state. I even had State Form 39530, Physical Inspection of a Watercraft from the local police department which stated the boat was not stolen. I know I should have applied for title as soon as I bought the boat but that was not an option anymore.

After many wasted hours at several BMVs, the Lake County branch of the BMV told me I had to go to Small Claims Court at the Lake County Courthouse and get a Court Order from a judge to give me title.

Below are the steps to follow:

May 26, 2017 ? I filled out paperwork at the Lake County Courthouse ? Small Claims Division 2. I dropped off or filled out the following forms.
  1. Bill of Sale
  2. Physical Inspection of a Vehicle or watercraft (State Form 39530). This must be done by a local police department. I received this form filled out when I purchased the boat by the previous owner.
  3. Filled out various County forms at the Small Claims office
  4. $126 in cash or money order
  5. I also brought two forms of ID with two pieces of mail (just in case).
  6. The court mailed out the information packet to the previous owner and the Indiana BMV to make sure the boat was not stolen or any other issues. This takes one month.
  7. I was told to come back to the Courthouse in one month to set the court date. No, they cannot do this over email, mail, or phone call.
July 5 ? I went back to the courthouse to get my court date. This has to be done in person.
  1. I brought the forms they gave me at the Small Claims court and they filled in the court date on the forms. You must bring the forms back with you.
  2. I set the court date for August 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]. This was the earliest I could get.
August 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] - Court date.
  1. The paper work and forms came back clean.
  2. The previous owner wrote a letter saying he sold me the boat and everything was good.
  3. The Judge issued an order for the DMV to issue me a watercraft title.
  4. The court clerk gave me two original copies of the court order with seal.
After you get the court order from the Judge, you need to send the court order and additional paperwork to the State BMV. Local BMV branches cannot issue titles from Court Orders. Believe me I tried to have them give me a title at the county BMV. This is the link to the forms you need to send along with your court order. http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/Court_Order_Packet.pdf

Forms needed to be sent to the Indiana BMV
  1. Form 38529 ? Application for a Certificate of Watercraft Title.
  2. Form 39530 ? Physical Inspection of a Watercraft
  3. Proof of address. Copy of drivers license.
  4. Payment. $15 Application fee, $25 Speed Title fee (get title in 2.5 weeks), and 7% sales tax.
  5. Attached checklist with application.
August 23, 2017 ? Received the watercraft title to my boat.

In all it took three months and about $200. Out of State Residents are not allowed to register a boat in Indiana. I will register in Illinois or Wisconsin. Again, I strongly recommend buying a boat with a title whenever possible. Of course we all know this but when we get a good deal, it is hard to pass up.

Good luck.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
why didnt you register the boat the moment you bought it in 2015? and why did you not register it in your home state?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Some states the process is easier than others.

Texas makes it so hard that you may as well just turn the boat with missing title into a planter if you can't get the previous registered owner to file for a lost title and sign it over..

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
why didnt you register the boat the moment you bought it in 2015? and why did you not register it in your home state?
Scott,
Yes, looking back I should have registered the boat as soon as I bought it. Not sure what I was thinking. Illinois likes to tax people beyond what I think is necessary. I have tried to register other boats in Illinois and they have lost my application (even though it was online) twice. Wisconsin is much easier and I use the boat there a lot.
I bought the boat in Indiana and that's where it was previously registered.

Bob

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Some states the process is easier than others.

Texas makes it so hard that you may as well just turn the boat with missing title into a planter if you can't get the previous registered owner to file for a lost title and sign it over..

Florida is the same way. They refuse to acknowledge ANY documents that are not originals. No copies allowed for ANY reason.....