Inconsiderates at the ramp and maybe just stupid people--I guess a rant

sailor55330

Seaman Apprentice
So this weekend I took my boat out to a local lake which is small, but close. It's kind of a crappy set up for the ramp and to be honest, because of the smaller size of the lake, you get a lot of smaller boats and some people that have no clue of etiquette. So to set the stage: The ramp itself is very sandy and I wouldn't want to try it without 4WD. Regardless of that, the ramp has 2 lanes with one courtesy dock in between--oh yeah, it has steel uprights with bolts sticking out---fun! There is a sandy area right next to the ramp that many people "beach" boat on---it's probably 50 yards wide.

So, I'm waiting in line to retrieve (first time retrieving on this particular trailer) floating while the SO backs the trailer in and a guy in a small aluminum boat comes screaming into the beach at about 15 mph. He beaches it literally right next to the ramp, throwing wakes across the ramp and trailers in the water. His kids then pile out and begin swimming between my boat and my trailer---I had to yell to them (nicely) to move--probably 4 in total. The parents were oblivious. Couple that with others that were leaving the "beaching area" and cracking the throttle about 20ft offshore and less than 100ft from the ramp in a CLEARLY marked no wake zone. Needless to say, I wasn't happy, but I had the SO with me and another couple, so I kept it cool and put the boat on the trailer like a boss and calmly pulled out. I chose not to say anything, but believe me, I wanted to. Ironically, when I got my boat on the trailer, the mother of the kids swimming asked me if the boat had a "basement" because it was so tall......maybe that should have been my first clue about the lack of boating knowledge. Needless to say, probably won't be going there again anytime soon. The other thing that chaps me was when people would pull the boat out, they would stop about 15 yards from the waters edge and secure the boat, tying up the ramp for others.....there is at least 300 yards of straight parking lot they could have pulled up through. Other's actions forced the SO to have to snake the trailer instead of being able to pull up straight then back straight. I know I'm not an expert and I've had my days at the ramp, but even when I'm having an off day, I still do my best to be considerate.

How would you have handled it?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I didn't read your post. Your title said it all.

Back when the "thing to do" was to go to church on Sunday morning then come home, change clothes, load up the family, swing by the fast food place and off to the launching ramp (and we had several), it was just a mess. Some folks were just plain selfish, others had no idea as to what they were doing nor how it affected others, and some just careless, both on and off the water, especially at the ramp.

So, with daylight savings time, we just went during the week after work. Made things a lot nicer (and cooler) and I took a nap on Sunday afternoon!

jkust

Rear Admiral
Sure...I endured five years of trailering and just about every ramp issue and trailer issue you could conjure up in your mind. We called it a day and bought a house on a lake. No more trailering....easy as can be.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The scariest part is, all those challenged people can procreate.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
You did the right thing.....Setting a example at the ramp and on the water does get noticed , even by Neanderthal's.

southkogs

Staff member
It may also be worth it to contact the local LEO for that ramp (wildlife / sheriff / whomever) and suggest they watch it a few days. Busting the no-wake zone and swimming in the active ramp are things that they can handle better'n anyone else.

tpenfield

Staff member
Sounds like a typical day at the ramp and everyone had a nice time. :)

The 'basement' comment was awesome :D

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I often want to ask people Are you rude or are you stupid, because it is one or the other.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
You did the right thing.....Setting a example at the ramp and on the water does get noticed , even by Neanderthal's.
+1 on that, it's worth a try to set a proper example, and not worth it to get mad and take "evasive action" (often easier to say than do)

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'm going to be conservative and say 80% of people are stupid with a smattering of rude. I just went boating on my sisters boat this past weekend and all I can say is wow.

briangcc

Commander
Unfortunately it happens more often than not and it's not lake dependent in my area. Signs are posted at all the ramps I use "No Swimming" and yet on any given day I may have to avoid backing over a rug rat or two. I get it...it's hot, it's water, and it's nice to cool off. Most move out of the way when they see a trailer backing up but some however are a bit more...stubborn??...and their parental units are usually as....stubborn??...

Another fun one is those who shore fish casting out directly in front of our boat as we're coming in from a day on the lake. It's a narrow channel with boats outbound on one side and inbound on the other so the options to avoid the fishing line are limited. Early on, I'd try to avoid it but in my later years I've since given up on the avoidance and generally aim for the bobber in my way. It's not like you didn't see me coming as I'm 19+' long, bright white on a dark blue/black lake - I don't blend in to the scenery.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I read all the comments. But I have to say, that was the time for you to make friends.

What I mean is, when the lady asked about your boat, you should of talked politely to her and explained boating things in a nice calm fashion. Who knows you could have gain friends instead of enemies (if only in your mind). Some times we are challenged and too quickly see the worst instead of opportunities to make friends and explain some water issue with your new friends.

Same with the boater that merely pulled ahead and not cleared the ramp for the next guy. I bet he seriously didn't even think about it. We too many times think people do things on purpose instead of out of ignorance. And doing such things on purpose is very rarely the reason. That was the time to walk up to him and talk about how his day was on the lake or if he caught any fish. Then slip in the clearing the ramp as an after thought and he will learn something from you. A lot easier then getting your blood pressure raised for not!

I too understand your point of view. But some people have no idea about such things until someone POLITELY explains things to them. Kind words carry a lot of power. And if we all were honest to ourselves, the time you had to wait cost you nothing but some mere minutes, if that. Life is too short to let such things bother you. Next time try to see everything as mere life events. It could change your outlook and perspective and make your day that much nicer. JMHO

tpenfield

Staff member
We often see threads about people's terrible experience at the boat ramp and how every one is stupid or rude.

So, no surprises there. If you go to the ramp, be ready for 'action'. It is all part of the 'fun'. Just hope that you do not become part of the 'show'.

After I retire, sitting at the boat ramp with a beach chair and a cooler is on my bucket list.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i stopped on the ramp this weekend, didn't think twice about it. So even nice people make mistakes. No one else there, but I still stopped. New ramp - maybe that was it.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer

After I retire, sitting at the boat ramp with a beach chair and a cooler is on my bucket list.

This is a regular occurence at the public boat launch near me. About 3 pm every Sunday a large (100-200 people) crowd gather at the launch with chairs, umbrellas, coolers and watches the fun at the ramp.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
All I had to read on your post was "on the weekend". The only way I am going to launch on a weekend is if someone is in need of rescue. Eunuff said. You can't fix stupid.

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Happens all the time... just last night too. I was backing in and the boat had just entered the water when I saw a ski boat pull in to the no-wake zone and come right behind me as he made his way to the dock at 15-20 mph. Hard to not get ruffled... but I held my tongue (the guy had his 2 young teen daughters with him... I don't think it occurred to him what he had done). I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.... I know I've pulled some bad moves over the years.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
the thing about stopping on the ramp is a noobie mistake but made out of fear , they have been told by everyone to strap boat down or it will fall off trailer they fear going another 20 ft and being embarrassed.
true story, i got this answer as a guy flagged me down to tell me my boat wasn't strapped and was going to fall off trailer, i was pulling into parking space lol not 20 feet from ramp but as we talked i realized this guy wasn't being a jerk he was scared to death for me.
So i went over some ramp rules of the road so to speak and even though he still thought i was a "risk taker" he fully understood :)

TuffySG

Recruit
gm280, your response nailed it. I live and drive in a low traffic area, but not a day goes by that I don't see things that make me shake my head and wonder about the sanity of the driver in front or to the side of me. To take the time, calm down a bit, and attempt a reasonable conversation with the "perp" of some minor offense, is commendable on your part. How many times have we made errors based on lack of knowledge? How do any of us learn the things that we rail against others for not knowing? Easy to complain, hard to retrain.