Is there a site to find current owner of a boat with hull #

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got a boat that has son title issues. It was boat at a auction and wanted to know if tgere is a site I can put in the hull/ Ser # in to find the current owner.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
not that i know of but the auction house should be able to furnish paper work

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Contact the auction first. If the registration was current or fairly so, the state doing registration may be able to help. Did the sale include a trailer - Your task may be doubly hard.

But don't get your hopes up and prepare a place in the yard for a planter.

Boscovius

Recruit
Here in Ohio we have to submit a Request for Title Search form and a $2.00 fee to the Department of Natural Resources Division of Watercraft. In fact, I will be doing this in the very near future as I attempt to track down a title on the 1957 35HP Evinrude Big Twin that came with my (1968)??? Mark Twain 14' OB Custom.

tpenfield

Staff member
In a word . . . No.

As the others suggested you might be able to request a search. Be ready for some red tape.

ahicks

Captain
That auction, if they have a dealer license, is responsible for supplying paperwork with details of the sale, including the sale price. I'm not sure how they dodged that responsibility. If they do not have a dealer license, then my bet is the boat was sold illegally.

Worst case, contact your local police department and explain the situation to them. BE STRAIGHT WITH THEM! They can do a search, and provide an inspection. From there you can prove the boat is not stolen, and the fact you own it. Getting it registered shouldn't be too big a deal from there.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. I have all the proper paperwork and will report back how I make out.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
what state are you in? Are there any old reg numbers on the hull? Some states have a sites to check.