First Boat/ opinions

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Volvo is not an issue at all. The fact that it has a 5.0 is the reason you should pass. That boat is practically a dog with a 5.7.

LOL..how many of you guys that say no to Volvo have ever even owned one? The closest shop to me specializes in Volvos.

If there were two identical boats and one had a Volvo and the other a Mercruiser, it would be an easy pick...Volvo. Especially if the choice was between a Merc Alpha and a Volvo...why would you prefer a dog clutch?

Last edited:

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
LOL..how many of you guys that say no to Volvo have ever even owned one?

I have never owned one, but have had them come into the shop and they were complete 100% nightmares to work on. And always had to order parts, and buy special tools to put those special parts on. Or remove engines just to change trim rams, or had to fix drives where people drilled out holes and destroyed them trying to change trim rams... Volvos make me ill, especially the DPs

JoLin

Vice Admiral
:welcome:

Each boat will be unique, so you will want to inspect the boat structure for signs of rot. If you can get a boat with a Mercruiser engine, then that may be a better a approach than something with a Volvo/OMC hybrid. Keep in mind OMC went belly up in the late 1990's. If it is purely a Volvo-Penta engine & outdrive, then that would be better.

Ted, a Volvo/OMC hybrid is... a Volvo. Owned a 1997 FW 278 Vista, and the branding on the components (engines, drives, throttle/shift controls) was a hodge-podge of OMC and Volvo nametags. As far as repairing/replacing any parts- it's all Volvo. Had to replace a low pressure fuel pump. Parts guy offered me the OMC part number 'cause it listed for $10. cheaper than the Volvo branded part. When he pulled it off the shelf it was in a V-P box.

My .02

briangcc

Commander
LOL..how many of you guys that say no to Volvo have ever even owned one? The closest shop to me specializes in Volvos.

I have. And I wouldn't go near another one as finding a dealer/marina that will actually service it became a major hassle. Also, as mentioned, parts are 2-3x that of comparable Mercruiser setups. Personal experience talking. $900 for a MPI fuel pump. Part alone. Not the part & labor. Marina had a fit as they couldn't believe it either as the comparable Merc part had a rebuild kit for a couple hundred bucks. And this was on a boat that at the time had about 100 hours of use.

They're nice drives and definitely smoother than the Mercruisers BUT since the dealer network isn't there, and is actually shrinking around my neck of the woods, I won't touch another.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Since your a 1st time buyer/owner...In my opinion, I would look for a 2006 and up Bayliner 245 Ciera with a 5.7 Bravo 3. The wife and I have went cruising with a friend who has a 2008( owned since new) and were very impressed. A great layout, engine compartment is very spacious for ease of maintenance, Lots of living space, with storage and a adequate head/shower. The 5.7 pushed the boat quite well, cruised very well. It is a trailerable boat. Spend some time at marinas/launches and ask owners what they think of them. Do a google search for images. Just my 2cts

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't call the Volvo a deal breaker for me; I've never owned one.

If dry stored probably in great shape for a 21 year old boat, especially if one owner.

My 23' is old school 23' so more like a 25' in today's world since no built in swim platform etc yours would be a 21' in old school terms probably. I get 43 top end with just me, a six pack and half tank of fuel on a 260 5.7. 4500 lbs dry weight on mine with same beam as this one. I put tabs on, I see you have them so you should be fine imo.

Survey is a must.

good luck.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
"Cruising the Great Lakes, staying out overnight......"

Mort, while you are looking for your first boat, enroll in a US Coast Guard safe boating course....probably can do it all online. A great place to start.

My experiences were that the boat is never big enough when underway and too big off the water. You are never satisfied. The quest will go on and on, but with some folks (like me) it does have an end. After 50+ years of my life being boating, I finally found something else to do and age was a contributor.

I totally agree with others that Previous Owner (PO) care is of the utmost importance. Second is having something, that when it breaks, you can get parts to fix it (have it fixed).

Last, read my comment at the bottom of this posting.

Good Luck and enjoy your experience. I surely did mine.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I would own a volvo but I'd need to ready myself for the downside. My Mercruiser equipped Chaparral could just as easily have had a Volvo as they used both brands and still do. I had an engine component issue this past weekend for which I don't have the time to fix nor do I have my trailer available to pull it out of the water to pull it to another shop and it isn't drivable anyway. My local marina near my lake house is going to fix it right on my boatlift this week. If it was a Volvo, I'd be up a creek as they wouldn't repair it. The practicality of owning one in my region would have to have some bearing on my decision.
As I have a Bravo drive, the comparison from an Alpha's lesser technology to a Penta doesn't really matter. I think it can be a different decision process for everyone.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have never owned one, but have had them come into the shop and they were complete 100% nightmares to work on. And always had to order parts, and buy special tools to put those special parts on. Or remove engines just to change trim rams, or had to fix drives where people drilled out holes and destroyed them trying to change trim rams... Volvos make me ill, especially the DPs
LOL..remove engines to change trim rams? Are you serious? Drilled hole to change trim rams. These are your reasons?

DP makes you ill...wow..another good reason!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
stay away from Cobra.

I've asked a mod to merge yrou two threads, or maybe close one. Try to keep one topic to one thread.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have a new saying " I wouldn't go 25 feet from a 25 year old boat with a 25 foot pole unless I own it ". Having said that who want's to buy a loaded pristine 1994 StarCraft Superfisherman 190?