What is it?

Duke1992lx

Cadet
Recently purchased a Mark Twain from someone who had no knowledge of the boat, But neither do i. I was told it was a 72 18ft. Looking at the engine casting date, it says 1968. Have no clue if its original. There is no HIN anywhere on the boat. Can't read the data plate stamps. Please help. Need to know before I have Ga DNR come out or sink any money into it. I was a great deal, couldn't pass it up. Boat, (no leaks) complete engine & drive (that does turn over) but needs stringers, floor & trailer for the paltry sum of $400

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Even for Georgia, this may be a yard planter. No title or bill of sale from the seller who may not be the owner?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did they pay you $400 to take it from them?

All jokes aside, you will probably be spending about 4-5K to get the boat on the water. Look through the restoration forum to see what you are up against here. If it is worth it to you, then great! Sounds like a great project boat, if you can figure out the title issue.

No HIN means it is not a 72, probably a 68 since that is what is on the motor.

If all of this isn't worth it to you, part it out to recoup your money (figure spending about 80-100 to have the hull disposed of) and start over.

Duke1992lx

Cadet
Thank you all for the info. Even for $400 I have a working trailer, gotta look at the upside. Lucky me, I work with DNR & should be able to get a few more answers to the title. Thankfully I do have a bill of sale from the 2 previous owners.

GA_Boater

Hope it works out, Duke. We have too many boat title stories that end up as planters. Good luck.

BTW - If you don't know, your county does the trailer. Hope the bills of sale have the trailer info included.

Duke1992lx

Cadet
No Title

Hopefully with the help of DNR i wont be playing pirate in my backyard. If I'm not mistaken, with my automotive experience in engines and bodywork, I think that estimate might be a little high.
I think now I can post a few pics, but I am on my phone & have no clue about pic hosts, so please bear with me. I am still wondering whats the model, since the year has been pretty much cleared up. Again, thank you for any & all help.

Attachments

• photo275421.jpg
    photo275421.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275422.jpg
    photo275422.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275423.jpg
    photo275423.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
A little bit on 'em HERE.

Georgia's boating registration is similar to Tennessee's, I think. Up here you'd probably make it with the bill of sale. They I've registered two boats from title states here in TN, and they typically just hand me the title back and focus on the bill of sale. I'd just ask the DNR about it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A little bit on 'em HERE.

I love looking at old brochures from the 60's and earlier like you provided southkogs. Everything advertised at that time was rocket like this, supersonic that and the best is the hand drawn depictions of the cars, trucks and boats like the Mark Twain line. My wife has her Moms old Sears and Roebuck catalogues from the 50's, it's entertaining.

southkogs

Staff member
No doubt - the marketing "schmaltz" of the 50s, 60s and 70s was probably some of the best copywriting you could ask for. Particularly in the 60s when the space race heated up everyone's drive to be "space age" in their technology. :satellite:

There's probably a site for classic Mark Twain's out there too. They've got a bit of a following.

GA_Boater

@ GA_Boater Another thought, what about registering it as home made?

If you have the right paperwork, the DNR will issue a HIN. That's what I have on my boat and it solved a host of problems.

Duke1992lx

Cadet
Glad I thought about it, homemade it is. Now I can continue on my planning phase of what needs to be done.    The old brochures are always cool to look at