First Time Buyer

JB Northwest

Recruit
I'm hoping to get some advice on buying a used boat. I'm looking at a 1996 Wellcraft Excel 21SX that appears to be in very good condition. It has a 4.3L with about 300 hours on it. It comes with a 2002 22ft Loadrite trailer. It's in my price range and when checking NADA it falls in the middle of pricing range. So, for you long time boating experts, what's your take on Wellcraft Excel boats? Are there any common issues with these boats in that year? I have researched boat inspection procedures and know that I need to check the deck for mold--How Do I Do That? Is it just a tap check or should I pull up the carpet? Check the stringers--they recommend pulling up the floor and that there are two bolts under the engine cover but their boat is not the same as this boat so any advice on how to do that on this boat would be greatly appreciated, Check the engine mounts for cracks. Is there anything I'm missing? This boat has only been in fresh water lakes here in Oregon.

Thank you in advance for your expert advice!

JB Northwest

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

Boats tend not to have 'common issues' and don't vary hardy at all from year-to-year.

The deck should be checked for soft spots and signs of moisture or rot, rather than 'mold'

Each boat brand/model will be a bit different as to how to access things in order to see the structure.

I usually like to poke at areas of the structure (stringers, bulkheads, etc.) with a narrow screwdriver to see if it poke through anywhere.

There have been a few Wellcraft Excel restorations on various forums, including iBoats. this will give you an idea of how the boats are built and what folks have found in the restoration of them, as that may help in your inspections of potential boats. The new photobucket polices are preventing viewing of many of the picture though.

JB Northwest

Recruit
Thank for the welcome Admiral! The reaso I mentioned mold is because out here in western Oregon we get a lot of on everything. I'll take your advice and weed through the forums. Thanks again!

jkust

Rear Admiral
Quick google image search...looks like a fairly typical 90's boat with 90's colors but decent lines. Seeing a lot of plastic instead of Stainelss Steel including the rub rub rail in the pics. Would want to be sure that the engine is a 96 and not a 95 left over as 96 engines had some improvements added including vortec heads.