No Drain

lilmarty87

Recruit
I have an old Kenzie Kraft fiberglass jon boat. The seats are fiber glassed in solid resulting in 3 areas that do not drain water. It was made without a drain plug.
Anybody had this style and has anybody resolved this issue? Aside of cover or under roof.
Thanks

robert graham

Admiral
You can buy a brass drain plug with the threaded plug and drill/fiberglass it into the transom....but you want the job done correctly....maybe a local fiberglass/boat repair shop who would know the very best methods and materials....might be worth a few dollars unless you can do it yourself...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can buy all the stuff here on iboats to do it yourself easily, just seal it up and you'll be fine.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Since the seats contain the flotation foam, you can't easily add drains by drilling into the seat bases without adding well sealed tubes. Do it wrong and all you will do is saturate the foam. A transom drain can be added as mentioned above, but between the seats won't really work.

3 easiest choices - Cover, roof or turn her upside down. How heavy is she?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The drains through the seat bases aren't hard to do, get a long drill bit of the correct size from Harbor Freight, then drill the hole as low as possible all the way through, slide in the correct length of PVC pipe (3/4 or 1/2" diameter) and seal it in with 5200 or something similar.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Or flip the boat over when not in use

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree with the comments about flipping. I and everyone I know who has ever owned a Jon boat just flips them over when not in use.

lilmarty87

Recruit
Welcome aboard.

Since the seats contain the flotation foam, you can't easily add drains by drilling into the seat bases without adding well sealed tubes. Do it wrong and all you will do is saturate the foam. A transom drain can be added as mentioned above, but between the seats won't really work.

3 easiest choices - Cover, roof or turn her upside down. How heavy is she?

The forward middle seat is hollow and the rearward middle seat is a self filling self draining livewell.

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Too heavy for 1 grown man to flip.
Then I guess your best choice is to cut the hole in the bottom of the bench, install a pvc tube, and cut a plug in the transom area. Not much else you can do. It's relatively easy and will do what you ask.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iBOATS! :welcome:

Now that you've made 4 posts, you can post pictures of the problem areas.