Wema fuel sender Damaged. Rod and float came lose inside fuel tank

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
I have a 2003 Regal Comodore 2860. The fuel gauge doesn't work. I checked the fuel sender and it seems like the rod came off (you can see a thin rod w diodes in direct contact w the fuel). The rod measures 13" .
I can order a new fuel sender (I think just another wema 13" should be fine).
Here is my question:
Do i need to worry about the rod/float that should be rolling inside the tank?
Also, should i cut the rod ASAP (while i wait for the new sender)? Maybe those diodes (in direct contact w fuel) could get damaged and contamina the tank/fuel.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5023.JPG
    IMG_5023.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im guessing the correct size to order would be 13". That's the fuel tank's height.

Attachments

• IMG_5023.JPG
    IMG_5023.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5018.JPG
    IMG_5018.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Measure from top of the tank to the bottom, this is the dimension you need to replace float sender. The float part which remains in the tank might be an issue if it gets under or hung up on top the new float. If you get a tube sender that will work then this would not be an issue, because the float is inside the tube.

VDO224-011-000-270G.jpg

Don't think I would bother with cutting the rod unless its going to fall off. I would disconnect the sender wire and insulate to keep down possible issues with the gauge

fuel.jpg

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
AllDodge. Got it...I just measured the tank height (13").
THANKS!

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Measure from top of the tank to the bottom, this is the dimension you need to replace float sender. The float part which remains in the tank might be an issue if it gets under or hung up on top the new float. If you get a tube sender that will work then this would not be an issue, because the float is inside the tube.

Don't think I would bother with cutting the rod unless its going to fall off. I would disconnect the sender wire and insulate to keep down possible issues with the gauge

Now Im a bit confused. When I measure the tank from outside (by the engine compartment) it measures 13". However, when I put the tape inside, it measures 15".
Again, the old rod (the inside/whats left of it) measures 13".

Attachments

• IMG_5031.JPG
    IMG_5031.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5029.JPG
    IMG_5029.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
That's not unusual. The manufacture chose a shorter one for maybe two reasons. The gauge will show empty and still have 2 inches more gas to go to provide some reserve capacity; or they had different size tanks which range from 13 to 15 inches and just bought only the 13. Either one will work, just which one you want to install

alldodge

Staff member
Guess I probably should add, that you should have at least 1/4 clearance under the float tube (if you use a tube of some such) for expansion and contraction of the tank.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
^yes a little smaller than tank for tank expansion and possible flexing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Determine the proper sending unit length for your tank by measuring from the inside bottom to the outside top of the tank. A MINIMUM 1? clearance must be maintained between the tank bottom and the float retaining collar. Clearance must also be accounted for the adjacent side or the baffle of a tank when determining the proper length.

NOTE: FAILURE TO MAINTAIN PROPER CLEARANCE MAY RESULT IN THE UNIT TO MALFUNCTION, CAUSE TANK DAMAGE, AND WILL VOID WARRANTY OF THE UNIT

http://www.wemausa.com/instructions/WEMA_SENDING_UNIT_INSTALLATION.pdf