Moeller fuel tank questions

Greasegirl

Recruit
Just recently aquired a 1994 Four Winns 215 Sundowner. 5.0 OMC engine. Doing a thorough check over of everything and was dumbfounded to discover the fuel tank (50 gallons) has four large holes (made this way) in the top of the tank. There was duck tape covering them. I'm a car mechanic doing my best with this boat thing and I can't figure out why in the world these holes would be here and if I should be searching for whatever manufacturer fittings go in them versus the duct tape that was there.
Secondly...looking down into the bottom of the tank I saw a bunch of gunk- rotten leaves mostly, so I'm going to be removing the tank to clean it out. (Advice on this also greatly appreciated) So- when I was grabbing out what gunk I could I felt 4 flat hose hoses laying on the bottom of the tank. Anyone know what these are and their purpose?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The four flat hoses could be some sort of tie down remnants. The holes covered with duct tape...some marine plastic fuel tanks have molded holes to add strength.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, those are 'indentations' not holes. I assume that is what you are seeing :noidea:

2563530c_2.png

​They are for support and provide some baffling. I assume the 'holes' are not open to the tank internal. Let us know if you see otherwise

Greasegirl

Recruit
The hole openings actually do go all the way down and I was able to see the gas (and gunk) at the bottom. There is about a 3 to 4 inch space from the bottom of the hole to the bottom of the tank.
I have a great picture but I'm assuming my cadet status prevents me from attaching a picture. :(

tpenfield

Staff member
If you do have holes in the tank, then you should consider replacing it. Hard to say if patching it will work.

Any fumes that can escape from the tank is a great big explosion/fire hazard. :eek:

Greasegirl

Recruit
It is with great shame I post this update...
Soooo....after researching and calling every salty dog I know inquiring about these holes, something made me put my hand back down in there and feel the proximal opening of the distal end of the hole. Suprise!...the cylindrical openings are NOT open to the tank and are in fact just baffles. The liquid I felt at the bottom was in fact just hull water. A very embarrassing yet pleasant surprise. Installing a new fuel line today and hope to have her running again within the next few hours. Thank you all for your advice.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
It is with great shame I post this update...
Soooo....after researching and calling every salty dog I know inquiring about these holes, something made me put my hand back down in there and feel the proximal opening of the distal end of the hole. Suprise!...the cylindrical openings are NOT open to the tank and are in fact just baffles. The liquid I felt at the bottom was in fact just hull water. A very embarrassing yet pleasant surprise. Installing a new fuel line today and hope to have her running again within the next few hours. Thank you all for your advice.

Awesome, sometimes it's great to be wrong! Good luck