Trim tabs

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi , I hope this is the right section as I'm new to this site. I've also searched the site some for this.
90 four winns 225 sundowner, and my trim tabs are acting up. They are Bennett trim tabs. The starboard side goes down but won't retract , but the port side works fine. Once it was stuck down I bled the system and it retracted. After that I swapped the solenoids and the issue went to the other side. Would this be a bad solenoid? The battery's are only a 2 months and the boat starts up and everything else works fine.

mr 88

Commander
I think you figured it out when you switched solenoids and answered your own question at the same time.

tpenfield

Staff member
Hi , I hope this is the right section as I'm new to this site. I've also searched the site some for this.
90 four winns 225 sundowner, and my trim tabs are acting up. They are Bennett trim tabs. The starboard side goes down but won't retract , but the port side works fine. Once it was stuck down I bled the system and it retracted. After that I swapped the solenoids and the issue went to the other side. Would this be a bad solenoid? The battery's are only a 2 months and the boat starts up and everything else works fine.

:nod:

​The trim tabs are retracted by spring action, so long as the valve (solenoid) is operating.

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank you for the replies. I just wanted to make sure before I went out and bought a new solenoid.

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I got a different solenoid and it still does the same thing. Any ideas ?

tpenfield

Staff member
So I got a different solenoid and it still does the same thing. Any ideas ?

There is a connector that the wiring runs to . . . I think there are 4 wires and it mates up with the boat wiring after about 1-2 feet. Pull that connector apart and check the condition of the contacts. Clean as necessary. Hopefully that will be your fix.

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll check the connector today. I tried to hot wire it to make it return but the motor kicks on but doesn't retract

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, after checking the connector, checking the solenoids agin, I went back to the switches and found the issue. The green wire with the female was broke and wasn't making correct contact. I put a new end on and all is well. Thanks for all the replies. I learned something with this , and I hope this post can help others. Thanks agin