Is there any good way to swap the trailers on two boats without water?

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently discovered that my boat trailer is rusting on the tongue, to the point that I think it needs to be replaced before I tow it at all, anywhere. I was able to just grab a chunk and rip it right out, it was so rusted. I have a pretty good trailer that my donor boat is sitting on, that never needs to be moved, not for years at least. I'd like to swap and put my decent trailer under my decent boat, and my crappy trailer under the donor boat.

Problem is, they're both in storage a solid hour from a launch ramp, and I'm not 100% sure the donor boat even floats. Is there any good way to swap these boats on dry land? Like, I dunno.... putting mattresses underneath them, or something? I assume it would be a horrible idea to put them just on the asphalt. What about grass?

Never really done this, I have no idea how this might even be done. Or does it just have to be done in the water somehow?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: The boats are both aluminum starcraft 22 footers. Both are about 1500 pounds, I bet. thanks!

Maclin

Admiral
Depends on where you can do the swap at, like can you end up leaving the donor there for a long while. Grass is ok, probably best. A grassy spot with a big tree or two to tie off to and drag them off, that kind of thing. Again, much depends on the spots of real estate you have available to you without legal repercussions.

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I second the grass and a tree to tie off on. I have done it with a few boats. I do recommend taking the motor off it will lighten the rear up. Tie the transom eyes to the tree and slowly begin to pull forward, the boat will start to come off. The grass/ground will not hurt the stern of the boat just slowly and gently let it fall to the ground. Once the forward part of the keel starts to come off the trailer i recommend sitting something between it and the ground... big foam blocks work the best, an old tire would also work.

Getting it on the trailer is really easy. Walk the trailer back into the Bow, hook the winch strap and winch it in. At this point you do NOT want the trailer hitched up, the tonge will raise, and the trailer will start to "slide" under the boat. Once the trailer is under the boat aways the tongue will start to drop the stern of the boat will begin to raise, keep winching until the bow stop. If the trailer is a full roller trailer this process is almost effortless, if it has carpeted bunks spray them down with water once they initially make contact with the bow.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just went through this, my boat bow stop failed allowing the boat to crash into the back of my SUV. 7k of damage. Found a replacement trailer. But couldn't find a way to get it moved. No local Marine salvage company. I found a tow company with a class a tow truck Used to raise tractor trailers. About 350$$. So I got a friend with a Gantry crane to lift the boat and pulled the old trailer out and pulled the new one under the boat. Which is 23f and about 6000lbs.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Fortunately my auto insurance fixed the truck and boat insurance coverage for the trailer and boat.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Mmm...depends how talented you are at lifting operations.
If you are only an hour away...I'd be tempted by the water option.
I recently went through an ordeal (all be it after a few beers) with my friend adjusting the rollers on a trailer with boat....we managed it only just with hydraulic jack and wooden blocks etc...but t wasn't a pleasant experience. That was only half the ordeal you are thinking of.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Pull the donor boat off the trailer by any means. Lighten it up as much as you can. As it comes off the trailer, support the bow to elevate it above the rear trailer cross member.

Back the now empty donor trailer in front of the junk trailer, keep the trailer on the ball and take the winch post off the junker. Position the tongue of the junk trailer on the ground under the donor.

Hook up the donor winch to the keeper boat bow eye and crank it off the junk trailer on to the donor. Wet the bunks to make for a little easier cranking.

Now to put the door boat on the junk trailer. Put the winch post back on and back the trailer under the elevated bow, hook up the winch to the bow eye and crank it on.

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll try the old tires on grass.... seems like a great cushion.

Was just making sure an old aluminum boat wouldn't bend or something.

thanks!

jrwms

Recruit
this is a simple project..
Build a saw horse type thing in the front of boat put a strap under bow to support the bow pull trailer out from under boat just enough to get the back of the boat where you can jack it up enough to block each corner of the stern now pull trailer out from under boat if you take the wheels of the trailer and lower trailer it will be much easier. then just put new trailer under boat put wheels back on lower boat and your done. I've done this many times, makes bottom painting easy

icwingman

Seaman
I recently discovered that my boat trailer is rusting on the tongue, to the point that I think it needs to be replaced before I tow it at all, anywhere. I was able to just grab a chunk and rip it right out, it was so rusted. I have a pretty good trailer that my donor boat is sitting on, that never needs to be moved, not for years at least. I'd like to swap and put my decent trailer under my decent boat, and my crappy trailer under the donor boat.

Problem is, they're both in storage a solid hour from a launch ramp, and I'm not 100% sure the donor boat even floats. Is there any good way to swap these boats on dry land? Like, I dunno.... putting mattresses underneath them, or something? I assume it would be a horrible idea to put them just on the asphalt. What about grass?

Never really done this, I have no idea how this might even be done. Or does it just have to be done in the water somehow?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: The boats are both aluminum starcraft 22 footers. Both are about 1500 pounds, I bet. thanks![/QUOT
E]

Jack up corners of donor boat support front on 4x4.pull off.same w other boat. Put trailer under good boat and wicch away. Don't connect trailers to cars till done if you have bunks wet them down good. Good luck