Essential items

big river rat

Recruit
Hey guys & gals, we just purchased a new (to us) deck boat and we're curious about some essential items to carry on our outings. We're new to boating and want to be as prepared as humanly possible.
I was talking with a coworker that is a long time boat owner and he gave me a few good pointers (jumper cables, small tool kit, change of clothes, etc), I was just curious if anyone had some "must have item" recommendations they would care to share?
Thanks

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just off the top of my head (besides state and USCG required safety items), first aid kit, hand held VHF marine radio, at least one good flashlight, spare hat (if you wear one), plenty of dock lines and fenders, charts for your boating area.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard: Answers are going to vary all over the board, and that's mainly due (IMHO) to the different waters we all boat, and the types of boating we do.

We've got all kinds of stuff on board that's handy for when we want it (dog's fetch toy, skis and tow rope, etc). It's all stowed where we can get it. I carry a couple of basic tools, but I also have a tow service on the lakes that we frequent the most. I have a VHF and have a NAV app on my iPhone. Then all the required stuff by USCG and TWRA.

When I boat up in Michigan, I'm typically on much smaller boats on a much smaller lake - don't carry much of anything outside of what's required.

On the occasions that I get to boat in Florida, I probably look like I'm mounting an expedition with all of the stuff I try to have with me.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
this topic comes up about once every 6 months. do a search, plenty of good ideas

I used to bring tools, parts, etc. in addition to USCG required stuff, an extra prop set, electrical meter, etc. VHF radio, etc.

now I bring the USCG stuff, the prop set, a prop wrench tool, VHF radio, cell phone and my Boat US membership number

removal of a bunch of parts and tools means I can carry more beer and ice for the 1 time a year I may need to be towed in (plugged heat exchanger, failed ignition module) and we are not tripping over stuff

best thing to carry is towing insurance and extra beverages.

'kogs.....that boat with 600# of stuff was you?

fishrdan

Admiral
I carry basic tools with an assortment of things to do patch repairs for the boat, fishing gear, passengers, and help others out: screw drivers, wrenches, small socket set, electrical pliers, butt connectors, fuses, zip ties, electrical tape, tube of epoxy, needle and thread, bottle each of - engine oil, trim fluid, drive lube. It all fits into a small tool box, except the fluids. Saved more than 1 trip by doing a quick patch repair.

I have a little emergency water and food stashed, trash bags, paper towel roll, extra sun screen. After forgetting my tackle box on 1 trip, I also have a small 4x6 box of emergency fishing tackle: hooks, sinkers, couple of choice lures. If you need glasses, stash a cheap pair on the boat. (I'm now of the age where it's almost impossible to tie a fishing knot without glasses....)

When I take the kids tubing, I bring them 2 life jackets, one to get wet and the other to stay dry. Nothing like a cold trip back to the dock in a wet life jacket, and complaining kids.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
It really all depends on where you boat, how far out you venture, how close is help, your mechanical/electrical skills - if any - with tools and engines.

#1 is water
#2 on my list is a roll of TP in a gallon ziplock bag.
#3 is a good folding knife and a leatherman