Piece broke off alpha one

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry if this is the wrong thread but a piece of the plate above my prop broke off a couple seasons ago. Yea probably dumb for not fixing it but everything runs fine it just puts a spray similar to a small rooster tail at speed. Question is what is it really affecting and can it be jb welded or something and put back on. Sorry I don't have a pic but it's a corner piece about the size of the palm of your hand. 5.7 mercy alpha one gen 2. Thanks for the help

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If you're talking about the anti-ventilation plate, it might be possible to get the piece welded back on, not epoxied. You need to talk with a welder who knows Aluminum, a prop repair shop may be your best bet
As for what it is affecting, well at certain trim angles it may affect handling, and it may affect how the boat responds to different power trim settings.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
As mentioned, a competent prop repair shop should be able to weld on a new piece and make it look brand new.

Maclin

Admiral
If the plate has holes in it from a previous foil install then look into having those welded up also. Those are stress points in aluminum, and need to be welded as those will definitely invite the aluminum to begin a stress crack. If your drive plate does have holes like this then I would bet that is a factor in this breakage.