1986 bayliner trophy

66tracys

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking into buying a 1986 trophy 21ft dual 120force 2stroke outboard . Are these really junk boats or are they ok i have heard alot of b.s. but not sure if true or not any input would be Appreciate thanks

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
any old boat will have issues. Top tier to bottom. Trophy was lower end, find one that has been taken care of or rebuilt.

question, why specifically a Trophy, with a Force?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Agree with joe, this was a very entry level boat, top to bottom. From seats, gauges, controls,outboard and all of the trim, as cheap as it got at the time. Bayliner at the time was looking to just pump out boats as cheap as possible. I am personally not a fan of the Force motor/ Bayliner combo. For as many that were sold in the 80s/early90s to how many you see in operable condition today, they are not a very reliable motor and this one is way past its lifespan. I compare them with plymouth/dodge neons of the 90s. Those things were everywhere! You couldn't drive a mile without seeing 5 of them on the road. 10 years later, nothing!

All of that is of course depending on condition. A well maintained motor and boat will last decades. But even with good care of this particular boat, it is a bottom of the line boat that is over 30 years old. Eventually poor craftsmanship will catch up with even the most meticulous boat owner. Unless this boat has been torn down, new stringers, glass and transom, I would continue looking.

tpenfield

Staff member
30 year old entry-level boat . . . what could be wrong with it :noidea:

Anyway, if you are trying to impress people, this boat may not do it. If the boat is in good shape and meets your needs, then it might be good for you.

66tracys

Seaman Apprentice
The guy I was talking to said has taking care of the boat always covered .I not trying to impress no one I was looking for a fishing boat for a good price but I don't want a pos . I just heard bayliner trophy are not good boats I want to see the inputs. So far I am not going to get a trophy

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Don't discount the one you are looking at. I've owned three Bayliners and loved them all.

Force is a solid if basic motor and if has run this long probably still fine. Parts are thin but out there and they are a very easy motor to work on. I've worked on them and if I can do it any idiot monkey can. If the boat is solid and the engine craps on you, other brands are out there used for $1500 or less so swap and go boating.

If the boat has been taken care of, or has been reworked you will be fine.

read this yet?

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

mr 88

Commander
What is the price point on this and does it include a trailer ? What is your budget and where will you be fishing ? Not any fun buying a boat that needs to be rebuilt / doesn't handle waves and really isn't that great to fish out of even though it is sold as a fishing boat.

66tracys

Seaman Apprentice
Boat is 86 21ft trophy w/ cuddy cabin , live well ect..it has dual force 120hp outboard 2stroke . The trailer looks ok have not seen it yet the guy has had it for 12yrs . He said he will take the boat out for me to test. I was just worried about the trophy fallen apart from all of the stuff I have heard . This why I am asking all you
Thanks tracy

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
read that link I posted, on an outboard focus on the transom. Put your foot on a raised motor and push down. Flex, walk away. Solid keep looking. Ask for a wrench to try to tighten down the bolts that are thru the transom holding the motor on. Any more that 1/16th of a turn, walk away.

then re-read the link I posted.

It could be great, or it could be crap. Don't judge on name, judge on the physical boat.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Historically Force outboards are a ticking time bomb....or one that's already went off. Even the well maintained.
Not a big fan of bayliners in general, although they have their place and have welcomed many into the world of boating....
But I thought the more recent trophy boats seemed to be a slight step above your average bayliner in quality and seem to hold good money over here. Popular with the leisure/fisherman fraternity. Would prefer a Merc outboard or inboard model though.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
This one depends on your budget..... if over 1k look elsewhere! A 21' boat with 120hp is way under powered, and due to the brand of boat/motor it has bad resale value... The entire package was not great when new! Let us know what your budget is and we can help you find something better.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
This one depends on your budget..... if over 1k look elsewhere! A 21' boat with 120hp is way under powered, and due to the brand of boat/motor it has bad resale value... The entire package was not great when new! Let us know what your budget is and we can help you find something better.
Twin 120s