Triumph Boats

blackdog04

Recruit
I am looking for a used center console and have seen a couple triumph boats that are the right size and setup. I am wondering if they are what they say they are a nice riding durable boat? Any help on this matter would be great.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The "Tupperware" boat.....nothing wrong with them if you like plastic boats.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Know a guy who has a 17 footer or so and he loves it and its as tough as nails.Ive been mulling it over also.

briangcc

Commander
I remember a salesperson beating on one with a hammer at a boat show when they first came out - didn't leave a mark on it that was discernible. I got to take a swing as well and boat wasn't worse for the wear for it after a nice hit.

That being said, my uncle had a renter who owned one and in passing it was mentioned that overtime the boat looked a bit rough. I don't recall all the details on what specifically happened but it stood out to me so take it for what its worth.

roffey

Commander
The "Tupperware" boat.....nothing wrong with them if you like plastic boats.

I checked out their web site and the boat look like they are indestructible. Some of the things they do to the boat like drop it from a helicopter or drag it behind a truck,,, down a paved road at high speed.....

I guess the advantage behind this is you don't really need a trailer. You can just drag it to the lake for just air drop from your chopper.

Last edited:

chevysam41

Seaman
I have received alot of help from this forum so as a current owner of one of these boats, I'll chime in with my $.02. I have a 2001 210CC (technically a Logic, the predecessor to the Triumph, but very similar). Here is my honest opinion:

Pros:
- Minimal upkeep (no need to ever wax). Best method of cleaning is a quick powerwash.
- Durable to the point that if I bang into rock piles, docks, etc. it does not phase the hull past a surficial mark which can usually be rubbed off with your hand. I don't even carry boat fenders for pulling up next to the dock or other boats.
- Good ride
- If the hull is ever superficially damaged, its not hard to repair with relatively inexpensive tools and supplies.
- Good amount of storage with a GIANT hatch in front of the console.
- Ropelene floats naturally and there have been cases where entire boats have flooded but they don't sink because there is so much flotation.

Cons:
- These boats are made like a thermos - an inner and outer hull with foam between. Some models (especially earlier models) have issues with water intrusion into that inner foam, causing the boat to gain weight over time. However, these can in most cases be remedied by installing hull drains into the inner hull...something that really should have been done from the factory...
- Not uncommon for screws to back out over time and they can strip if overtightened or excessively used. However, stripped screw holes are easy to repair with ropelene powder.
- Though they look nice (IMO) when clean, these boats will not shine like a well maintained fiberglass boat. Some models also have slight undulations in the hull causing the side to look a little wavy in the right light. This bothers a lot of people but it is purely cosmetic.
- NOTHING truly seals or adheres to ropelene. Forget using 5200, silicone, etc. to seal. The consensus among the Triumph community is Sudberry RULE is the closest thing to a sealant that will work on the material, but in my experience it is not a perfect seal.

When we bought our boat, we were looking for a good condition 21' CC for less than $10K and this fit the bill. If you're seriously thinking of buying either a Logic or Triumph, I would recommend reading some on the Triumph owners forum website ($5 for a 3 month membership) dedicated to these boats. There are folks over there with a wealth of knowledge. If you decide to get a surveyor, make sure they are familiar with these boats too, there are different things to look for.

Hope this helps!