What's this? Found on the way to Algonquin Park

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Found this on my way to Algonquin last week, what is it? it's pretty cool... looks like it's in the middle of a restoration, and has a Volvo Penta Drive.

Of course I found it when I pulled into a Tim Horton's (no road trip in Canada is complete without Timmies :D )

Attachments

• photo273789.jpg
    photo273789.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo273790.jpg
    photo273790.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo273791.jpg
    photo273791.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
Some kinda' cool ole' hydrofoil. Interesting layout.

Ned L

Commander
Looks like a late 60's to early '70's hydrofoil.

Rather 'retro' looking now.

Ned L

Commander
I was off on the age. It is said to be a 1955 "Volga 275"

southkogs

Staff member
Whoah - Ned wins the "Name the obscure boat" prize this week! That mug is Russian. :cool:

briangcc

Commander
Having spent many summers on Baptiste and Diamond lake in Bancroft ON, all I could think of when I saw that outdrive was...LOG! STUMP! More LOGS!

Draft of the boat didn't look bad until I saw the outdrive!!

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yup same boat... right down to the missing paint spots on the sides and minus two wheels on the trailer.

briangcc, the boat was in Bancroft BTW, so about what 3-4hr drive from North Bay where the video was filmed at the dealership that sold it... so yeah, log stump coming soon, lol

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The boat is made by "A hole in the water you pour money into". Not only is the boat similar to the boat featured on the You Tube video I strongly believe it is the exact same boat. The scratches on the Port side are identical. North Bay is a few miles west of Algonquin Park. Looking closer it is definitely the same boat. So your quest to find out the make and model your search is over.

I'll tell you one thing, it is one cool boat. You won't see them everyday.

Side note, I wonder why the guy narrating the video wouldn't look at those boats before he made the video.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
briangcc, The drive is like that so the prop will still be in the water then the entire hull rises up and rides on the front and rear hydrofoils underneath.

briangcc

Commander
briangcc, The drive is like that so the prop will still be in the water then the entire hull rises up and rides on the front and rear hydrofoils underneath.

Couldn't see the foils under the boat as they blended in with the trailer! That being said, that's a lot more hanging underneath to snag something like a log. Not exactly the best boat for that area unless you KNOW where you are. I'll have to check out the video on it.

REN3G8 - I love the area and I'm trying my darnedest to get back up there. I have the wife convinced on a trip next year to Peterborough and we'll make a day trip into Bancroft. When we used to travel up there, we crossed the Lew-Queen bridge at 4 am in order to get through Toronto before the rush hour commute to cottage country hit.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Couldn't see the foils under the boat as they blended in with the trailer! That being said, that's a lot more hanging underneath to snag something like a log. Not exactly the best boat for that area unless you KNOW where you are. I'll have to check out the video on it.

REN3G8 - we crossed the Lew-Queen bridge at 4 am in order to get through Toronto before the rush hour commute to cottage country hit.

You]re cutting it close REN, it gets busy in Burlington at around 6 now and traffic drops off about 23 hrs later. It makes L.A. traffic look like a ride in the park.

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't read every post in this thread but this exact same boat is in Bancroft at a yard behind the Tim Hortons. Is that where you saw this?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Hi neighbour, didn't realize it was you. Looks like you got a slip at Hoovers. How's the SunRay running? Stop by if you see the truck in the driveway. Not a great year on our lake eh?

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I didn't read every post in this thread but this exact same boat is in Bancroft at a yard behind the Tim Hortons. Is that where you saw this?

Yes sir... Timmies in Bancroft. :)

it was an awesome sight, my wife wondering why I'm taking pictures of someone else's boat and me going "because it's something you don't see everyday!" lol

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
that's briangcc you're thinking of... I'm in the Shwa area, But I often come through Burlington/Niagara area since we have friends we visit once a while. :)