Stormy Or Rainy Weather And Boats

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Was over at dry storage yesterday and noticed that there were some 8 new Center Console / not covered Fishing boats sitting along a fence across from the Boat Sales Office building.. There were also brand new Bowriders and a couple of small Cabin Cruisers sitting under a roof next to the same building. At 5AM that morning, we had two t-storms hit and some heavy rains up until 10AM. I could see stereo speakers on each side of the center console's, so I knew there had to be wiring and some type of electronics for the stereo's to work.

​Wouldn't stormy or just rainy weather be bad for these boats to sit out in? No matter where our boat is, we don't like it getting "weather wet" at all.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Center console fishing boats are usually all fiberglass, minimal vinyl, and marine grade electronics. Most even have the transom drain plug right on deck for easy cleaning. I wouldn't worry about those sitting in the rain. The bow riders and cabin cruisers were stored under a roof for some protection, but depending on how bad the rain was, they probably should have been covered if the storm was blowing rain sideways.

LuvBoating

Know very little about Center Console Fishing boats. When we lived in south of Denver, CO, most boats were either the ski type, small outboard "John" boats, bowriders or cabin cruisers. I can't remember once seeing a Center Console Fishing. Guess that type of boat is mainly sold and used on the Gulf or East Coast. Cuddy Cabins, like ours, aren't even made anymore. Funny because both boat manufacturers, Celebrity and Invader, are out-of-business and that's the kind we've had and have.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Gotta love the "Oh no, my boat got wet" crowd....lol

LuvBoating

Gotta love the "Oh no, my boat got wet" crowd....lol

Well, when rain ends up messing up a main deck or cuddy cabin deck and a repair/replacement has to be done.....

When rain ends up messing up nice boat upholstery, .......

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Well, when rain ends up messing up a main deck or cuddy cabin deck and a repair/replacement has to be done.....

When rain ends up messing up nice boat upholstery, .......
That's exactly why I don't own a sofa boat...lol

images

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Any boat left out in the weather is going to get a bit dirtier and more faded that one covered or stored indoors. Some boats really aren't well suited for outdoor storage, and boats like bowriders, ski boats, etc., are really not going to stay nice looking as long if stored outdoors. Boats designed to spend their lives in the elements (with removable cushions, self bailing decks, etc.) are going to be less affected by outdoor storage than boats with lots of upholstery, wood construction, carpeted decks, etc.

Cars and trucks will handle being stored outdoors just fine, but compare equally maintained 7 year old cars, one stored outdoors to one that is garaged, and you can guess which will look better...

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Around here it ain't the rain that'll kill your boat, it's the sun.

LuvBoating

Around here, it's "brackish" and saltwater that make an engine, outdrive and body go bad. Especially on older boats.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I like to keep the water on the outside of my boat. I'm the "oh no, my boat got wet" guy. Friends however couldn't care less from glass cuddy to centre council aluminums. And they look like they couldn't care less.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Its not getting wet that damages boats.

Its the hull filling with water and not draining or being under a boat cover that turns the inside into a steam bath.

2 real reasons to cover:

UV protection of fabrics and keep the leaves/trash out.

Except the old Kawasaki Jetmate where the drain plug being out leaves the engine 2/3 under water. That thing you need a solar panel and a float actuated bilge pump even if its covered and in a garage.

LuvBoating

I like to keep the water on the outside of my boat. I'm the "oh no, my boat got wet" guy. Friends however couldn't care less from glass cuddy to centre council aluminums. And they look like they couldn't care less.

​We feel the same way. My wife ALWAYS wants to make sure the boat is washer each time after being taken out. Ours is a 1992, but to her it's a 2017 and she tries very hard to make it look not good, but great. We've got compliments on how our boat looks.
During the summer months, we have a cockpit cover on it, but during the winter months, have both a cockpit cover and nice full-cover on it. Once I drain the water out of both sides of the block, it goes up into our dry storage space and stays until warmer weather hits.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
​We feel the same way. My wife ALWAYS wants to make sure the boat is washer each time after being taken out. Ours is a 1992, but to her it's a 2017 and she tries very hard to make it look not good, but great. We've got compliments on how our boat looks.
During the summer months, we have a cockpit cover on it, but during the winter months, have both a cockpit cover and nice full-cover on it. Once I drain the water out of both sides of the block, it goes up into our dry storage space and stays until warmer weather hits.

We are both in the same boat. We are always getting kudo's on the condition of our baby, it's a 94' StarCraft Superfisherman 190. It doesn't look brand new but it looks good. The guys always bust my chops because I carry Armor All and Spray 9. When the fishing gets slow I give her a clean some days. We went out 1 day and buddy brought his Dust Buster with him as a joke for me to vacuum, I did. We don't live in a fancy place but we don't live in a dump and don't want my stuff look like a dump either. I'm not obsessed about my stuff, anymore. We got the hard way, we earned it. I have a pal that had his car washed, once, the day it left the showroom. 6 years latter it is basically a heap of scrap but it just doesn't bother him or his wife, although she wouldn't be caught dead in it. I don't think he has seen his back seats in years as they are covered in stuff.

The boat is always covered by a mooring cover when not in use, shrink wrap in the fall then stored indoors. You can see yourself in the original paint.

LuvBoating

We are both in the same boat. We are always getting kudo's on the condition of our baby, it's a 94' StarCraft Superfisherman 190. It doesn't look brand new but it looks good. The guys always bust my chops because I carry Armor All and Spray 9. When the fishing gets slow I give her a clean some days. We went out 1 day and buddy brought his Dust Buster with him as a joke for me to vacuum, I did. We don't live in a fancy place but we don't live in a dump and don't want my stuff look like a dump either. I'm not obsessed about my stuff, anymore. We got the hard way, we earned it. I have a pal that had his car washed, once, the day it left the showroom. 6 years latter it is basically a heap of scrap but it just doesn't bother him or his wife, although she wouldn't be caught dead in it. I don't think he has seen his back seats in years as they are covered in stuff.

The boat is always covered by a mooring cover when not in use, shrink wrap in the fall then stored indoors. You can see yourself in the original paint.

​My wife loves your kind of "care"!

​We can't store our boat inside, like we did our bowrider in Colorado. There we had a 3-car garage and I was able to get the 18 footer in the 2-car side, with only an inch or so between the trailer hitch and the garage door. The garage was warm enough that we didn't have to winterize the boat for the winter there.

​Sort of funny, but we use to know a law enforcement officer, lived in our apt. complex, and I noticed just how much "fast food" paper stuff he had in the passenger side floor of his patrol car. Apparently he never had anyone do a "ride along" with him. .

Lots of boats I see sitting out in the elements that I wouldn't buy. Being made of fiberglass and wood, these things aren't exactly well built and leaving them soaking in water 24/7 doesn't help matters. Mine's a 1978 speedboat that looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. I keep it that way by parking it in my garage when not in use. I don't like covers that trap in the moisture, these things need to breathe to dry out. Only time mine gets the cover is when I'm staying at the campground. There's a lot more rotten 10-20 year old boats out there than solid 40-50 year old boats. I wonder why........

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I don't like covers that trap in the moisture, these things need to breathe to dry out. Only time mine gets the cover is when I'm staying at the campground. There's a lot more rotten 10-20 year old boats out there than solid 40-50 year old boats. I wonder why........

The shrink wrap has vents put in it to allow the boat to breath. On larger vessels dehumidifiers are used. Moisture isn't a big problem with the cold dry winter air in Ontario. In the spring until fall there are several things one can do to minimize moisture build up which, yes can be a problem, I agree. One thing is to crack open all the storage hatches and livewells. If I haven't used the boat for over a week or two I just fold back the cover, no big deal. I don't know why you say there are more rotten 10-20 year old boats than 40 to 50 year old boats.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Know very little about Center Console Fishing boats. When we lived in south of Denver, CO, most boats were either the ski type, small outboard "John" boats, bowriders or cabin cruisers. I can't remember once seeing a Center Console Fishing. Guess that type of boat is mainly sold and used on the Gulf or East Coast. Cuddy Cabins, like ours, aren't even made anymore. Funny because both boat manufacturers, Celebrity and Invader, are out-of-business and that's the kind we've had and have.

You can still buy a cuddy.
Fewer available, but they are there.

Neighbor just ordered a Stingray cuddy

Many are called "cruisers" now.