Boat Owner Responsibility (Guests)

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
...I have 50% more PFD's than required because I have sizes for kids thru XXXL because people come in all sizes - wear your PFD....

You require all passenger to wear PFD's? At all times or only when under way?

Just asking.....

82rude

Rear Admiral
jkust, camp freeloaders are the very worst.So they feel they can come to camp with zero food ,zero gas,zero beer.And sometime they show up one after the other.I would never dream of showing up uninvited and empty of all stores thats just plain rude.Matter of fact when i go to my brothers camp i leave all food i brought with me and the beer too!Brothers always at camp alone so he likes the company ,for me to get there i drive 90 miles up north ,20 into the bush,and 27 miles up the reservoir.Ive designed my boat for 1 person maybe two but i prefer to fish alone ,its my relax time.

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just asking.....

We have the legal amount of PFD's that are required, but we don't wear any. When we boated in Colorado, the only people we seen wearing a PFD was kids. Never seen one adult or teen wearing one inside a boat.
At the dry storage we're at now, again, only seeing young kids wearing them.....not one single adult!

The two couples we took out, both couples experienced boaters, one in Colorado and the other here, didn't even ask for a PFD.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Just asking.....

Depends....some people i make put on a helmet.

If you cant swim, you wear the pfd from the time you step off the dock to the time you get back off the boat. Otherwise just underway

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
At first I thought the original post was a joke but apparently not. So one person was a little trepidatious, was a little fearful of boating so you refused to take them for a boat ride. That doesn't make sense. I find it almost unbelievable that anyone would not take someone for a boat ride just cause they are a little scared. Most people are a little fearful the first time out in a small boat. Then you don't take some else cause they are fat. Again unbelievable. I dont think judgmental is the correct descriptive term. Perhaps you should devise a questionnaire for boat ride applicants asking questions like height, weight, boating experience, religion, provide a photo, etc etc. You could screen them and notify them by mail of your decision. I don't mean to be harsh but I've been boating for 50+ years and never heard anything like this.

tpenfield

Staff member

Just asking.....

Yea, we had a guest a couple of weekends ago . . . never been on a boat before . . . long time friend of daughter's boyfriend. We were anchored close to shore. The 'kids' (young adults) all decide to swim to shore. The friend has one of our floaty tubes, paddling to shore. . . manages to loose the tube . . . it starts to blow away in the wind, but still towards shore. The boyfriend swims after it. Meanwhile the 'friend' still has a ways to go to shore before being able to stand up. He doesn't look like much of a swimmer :rolleyes: I'm saying to the Admiral . . . "do you think we are going to have to pluck this guy out of the drink?" . . . She says "maybe" . . . :noidea:

Anyways, he makes it and boyfriend (good swimmer) retrieves the tube. Later on, back on the boat . . . I say to the friend "a Life Jacket would be good for you " :D

But yes, as the boat owner, it is important to know what is going on with all crew, be it family or guests alike, and then act to their safety, benefit, and enjoyment. We told the friend to come back any time. :)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
At first I thought the original post was a joke but apparently not. So one person was a little trepidatious, was a little fearful of boating so you refused to take them for a boat ride. That doesn't make sense. I find it almost unbelievable that anyone would not take someone for a boat ride just cause they are a little scared. Most people are a little fearful the first time out in a small boat. Then you don't take some else cause they are fat. Again unbelievable. I dont think judgmental is the correct descriptive term. Perhaps you should devise a questionnaire for boat ride applicants asking questions like height, weight, boating experience, religion, provide a photo, etc etc. You could screen them and notify them by mail of your decision. I don't mean to be harsh but I've been boating for 50+ years and never heard anything like this.
First of all, I can identify with the fat comment. Many years ago we took out a very large woman (OK, she was really fat). The boat was small and we only had a folding ladder that hung off the side. She decided she wanted to swim. I said OK. She couldn't get back in the boat. Not enough strength and too much weight. I almost broke my back pushing her back in. Additionally, it was a small boat with light weight cushions and she completely ruined (mashed) the one she was sitting on. I don't think I'm prejudiced, but not again and not in my boat.

Secondly, my feeling is that people who invite themselves are mooches. Only had them along once and they provided nothing. Now, if anyone asks I say bring the beer and buy the gas. So far, no one has accepted.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Im very lucky in my choice of friends.To the last one we all insist on paying our fair share or even plus.

tpenfield

Staff member
If people come on our boat and enjoy themselves, everyone has a good time, that is all the payment we need.

KD4UPL

I don't turn away anyone I know. I've had my 74 year old grandmother on the boat. I often had my parents who are probably each 75 pounds overweight. I've had infants, lots of children, first timers, old timers, etc. We're all out to have fun. I can't imagine turning someone away after they already had a life jacket and had boarded, that's just cold!
I once volunteered to take a bunch of foster kids out on the lake for the day. It was me, my GF, 3 other adults, and I don't know how many foster kids. They all had a great time. I've also been part of a group of boaters who took the church youth group out on the lake. We had 2 adults and then 6 to 8 teenagers in each boat. That was a hoot! They're fun to throw off the tube.

LuvBoating

I don't turn away anyone I know. I've had my 74 year old grandmother on the boat. I often had my parents who are probably each 75 pounds overweight. I've had infants, lots of children, first timers, old timers, etc. We're all out to have fun. I can't imagine turning someone away after they already had a life jacket and had boarded, that's just cold!
I once volunteered to take a bunch of foster kids out on the lake for the day. It was me, my GF, 3 other adults, and I don't know how many foster kids. They all had a great time. I've also been part of a group of boaters who took the church youth group out on the lake. We had 2 adults and then 6 to 8 teenagers in each boat. That was a hoot! They're fun to throw off the tube.

I've said this again and again, this co-worker of my wife's ended up not wanting to go. Yes, I did tell her we couldn't take her due to the fear she was showing, but she never once said, "don't worry, I'll be ok". She was absolutely fine not going. She could have tried to talk me into going, but didn't even try. She was happy to get out of the boat!!! Just how plain and simple do I have to be about that.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies....."the good, the bad and even the ugly". Next time I'll be smart and not put such a ridiculous Thread on a forum.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
From what I can tell in this Thread, different boat owners have different ideas about who they allow on their boat.

Perhaps, due to some responses, I should have given this Thread more thought before putting it on the forum. Seriously, more thought.

A forum is a place to air opinions, I think this thread has value.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Flying Scott: You are spot on. I guess I'm surprised some people feel that way. I would be embarrassed to show people I felt like that. It isn't about insurance, or lawyers, it's about people. I wonder how your would be guests felt after you dropped them? Dave-R

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Don't remember how it got into the conversation with the 40 yr old lady and her daughter. But, again, she hasn't brought it up to us again.

So, since nether of these people have shown any real interest.....

BTW, have nothing against heavy/obese people, but our boat isn't big enough for too heavy a person.

Neither have mentioned it again, because you told them NO.
And you made it very clear that they are not welcome.

Boat not big enough?

If they fit in a seat, the boat is big enough.

I boat alone most of the time, because I generally boat during the day on weekdays.
I'm also a non smoker, sober, fat, and ugly.

But if some poor sole at the dock wants to take a ride for an hour, or fish for 2 hours, I take them.

Someday I will be old and unable to boat by myself, but maybe one of these people will return the favor and will take me out in their boat.

I'm guessing no one will take you out when you are not able to handle the boat by yourself.

Extend a hand, build a bridge, and make a new friend.

LuvBoating

Neither have mentioned it again, because you told them NO.
And you made it very clear that they are not welcome.

Boat not big enough?

If they fit in a seat, the boat is big enough.

I boat alone most of the time, because I generally boat during the day on weekdays.
I'm also a non smoker, sober, fat, and ugly.

But if some poor sole at the dock wants to take a ride for an hour, or fish for 2 hours, I take them.

Someday I will be old and unable to boat by myself, but maybe one of these people will return the favor and will take me out in their boat.

I'm guessing no one will take you out when you are not able to handle the boat by yourself.

Extend a hand, build a bridge, and make a new friend.

​I just don't understand! I've already stated that we never said "no" to either the man or the lady with the daughter. They just never brought up going out on our boat again. Apparently, no more interest anymore. But, that's ok with us, we don't know them THAT well. .

​Today, some folks, like strangers, have other intentions, besides just taking a boat ride. We just aren't going to take that chance.

​When we get too old or physically unable to boat, boat will be sold and our boating days will be over. That will be it.

​Something I've learned about this Thread, some folks, like yourself, have no problem taking pretty much anyone out on your boat, while there are others, like us, that are choosy and I see nothing wrong with that.

tpenfield

Staff member
I certainly would not invite random people or even casual acquaintances out on our boat. But for those who are invited, I would not suggest they get off the boat at the first sign of being scared. I would do what I could to make them feel at ease.

Heck there are days when we come back through 4-6 foot chop, water spray going everywhere, and folks are happy to get off the boat . . . some even kiss the ground :D

To the OP, I think in the back of your mind you know that you are more rigid about how you conduct your boating social activities, and wanted to see if you were more to an extreme or within the norm. Based on the responses, I think you got your answer.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If I invite someone out on the boat I expect nothing in return. Just as I wouldn't give a bill to a dinner guest for their food. But just like a dinner guest may bring some wine or desert I would be appreciative. 99% when I go out I am fishing. Plenty of "acquaintances" have asked when are we going fishing? I look at my phone and tell them what's available. Then I ask them if they want to go our for a full or 1/2 day charter and since I know them I will give them a deal. They don't ask again.

jkust

Rear Admiral
For us, my lake house is my respite from my job and my wife's as well as is the boat. Some people want a bunch of randies on their boat but I want to get away from them. Many times I will fly across the country from meetings and straight up to the lake....I just don't want guests. Plenty of boats for sale and lake homes as well. It's a state comprised of boats and lakes...open up CL and start shopping.
I've had some crazy requests from people over the years. I don't care what your weight is, I'm equal opportunity.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
​I just don't understand! I've already stated that we never said "no" to either the man or the lady with the daughter. They just never brought up going out on our boat again. Apparently, no more interest anymore. But, that's ok with us, we don't know them THAT well. .

They expressed an interest.

They are being polite and considerate, waiting for your invitation.

They don't want to be "that guy" that begs and pesters.

By not letting them know when you are going out, by not inviting them, you said "no, don't bother me."

I am well aware of some peoples nefarious intentions.
But I doubt anyone would go through the trouble to go out on my boat with me, to murder me and steal my boat, when they could just as easily do that at the dock or gas station, and steal my truck as well.