Buying an old mirrocraft?

Boats_mcgee

Cadet
I've been looking for a used 14' aluminum boat for some time now. I have a 96 Evinrude 9.9.. just need the boat to stick it on!

I've come across a 14' mirrocraft that appears to be in great shape. No leaks, no repairs.

However, after receiving the serial number, and emailing mirrocraft to get some info, it appears the boat is from the 70's!

I've read that they were well built boats back then.. thicker aluminum, and double rivets.

Is this something that is even worth considering? Or should I be looking for something much newer?

And advice is appreciated..

Thanks in advance

DeepCMark58A

Commander
With a 14' straight fishing boat I would not be concerned about age, more about condition.

southkogs

Staff member
If it's in good shape, go for it. Nothing wrong with an old tinnie. Like Marks says "condition."

:welcome:

Boats_mcgee

Cadet
Anything I can do to validate it's condition?

It appears fine.. but I'm no tin can expert!

Thanks!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
We had a couple of 14 ft Deep Fisherman, one was a 15 in transom with a 25hp, the other was a 20 in transom with a 35 hp. Both were good boats, the only weak spots were how the floatation foam assemblies were attached

June 1981 mirrocraft2a.jpg

82rude

Rear Admiral
I guess it must depend on where you live,up here where i live a decent 14 foot is not mulled over it is jumped on quickly or its gone!Any issues with them are easily fixed,leakage is easy to repair now with gluvit or fasco,transoms are easily replaced.The 14 footer is by far the most popular and sought after small boat.It would have to be a pretty horrible boat to not sell.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I had one. 10hp or 35 hp on my 14', had real high sides and was very wide for a 14'. I had a 10 tiller on it and found an electric Merc. Mark 30 with controls in pristeen condition for a song. Had to do nothing to the engine but mount it and hook it up. Put a side console on her, trolling motor up front and had a fine boat for fishing the upper end of Lake Ray Hubbard. Duck hunted out of it too. Made a frame out of EMC tubing and put a camo cover over it.