Newbie possibly a dumb question

Tbird64

Cadet
My first boat was a 12 ft aluminum. Just upgraded

New boat is a 1965-69 (can't determine exact year)

Glastron V177 Swinger.
Mercruiser 120

I've done the basics new oils filter etc. Fixed a couple leaky hoses and a pesky reverse lock valve
Installed A new bilge pump and blower fan

Had it out today for the first drive and I have possibly a dumb question

Is it normal to have water coming into the bilge

Not a gush or huge flood by any means

Bilge pump has to run about every ten min and pumps for about 30 seconds to remove the water.

For the life of me I can't find were it's coming from.
(Not a lot of room with the engine cover on)

Seems okay at a stand still
Water comes in when driving. Don't see any leaks on anything motor related. Double checked the bilge pump and didn't seem to be leaking (although I didn't have any sealer of any kind on the plug)

Is this normal?
Should I just install an automatic float on the pump?

alldodge

Staff member
No not normal, and if it does not leak just sitting then start checking hoses and plugs

Tbird64

Cadet
So running on muffs. No water builds up.
I put a hose in the bilge and filled it with water. Didn't see it leaking out anywhere.

It does get water in there when it rains but that dosnt seem a surprise.

Any other common places to check?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Dont fill boat with water. Put boat in water and look with flashlights, mirrors, digital camera, etc

alldodge

Staff member
So running on muffs. No water builds up.
I put a hose in the bilge and filled it with water. Didn't see it leaking out anywhere.

It does get water in there when it rains but that dosnt seem a surprise.

Any other common places to check?

Running on muffs does not supply enough water to fill and put the system under any pressure. Suggest getting someone else on the boat so you they can look while running around.

Alumarine

Captain
While on land you could tilt the drive all the way up and look at the 3 bellows.
There might be some cracks that are easy to see.
The large and small corrugated bellows are the ones that can let water in if they are bad.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It is not rolling in when you are coming off a plane is it? Some time water can roll over the transom when the boat is settling down after a run. :noidea:

Tbird64

Cadet
Have the bellows a good look over before taking it out. That all look okay and recently replaced.(newer gear lamps and nice and clean

I was wondering about rolling in. Seems I have the trim stop too high so when mid speed the back end drops a fair bit and then again when coming off a plane.

Gonna take my brother Inlaw out with me this week and have him keep an eye on it. See if we can figure it out.

Ther was a bit of water splashed on top of the valve cover and the top of the transom cross member. So mabey that's all it is.