Chaparrel quality?

boatman37

Lieutenant
Been looking at buying a bigger boat and last night saw a few Chaps for sale that were pretty cheap. Most of the ones I was looking at were about $30k while many comparable chaps were about $20k. Looking at around 2000 29-30'ers. I did see a few that were closer to $30k but many lower priced, more than any other brand. Just wondered if it is a quality issue or maybe just that those ones weren't in as good of shape?

tpenfield

Staff member
Chaparral . . .

Can you post a few links as examples?

Mid-range quality IMO, maybe a bit on the above average side. I considered getting a Chaparral before buying my Formula(s). I have seen some pictures of the guts of some Chappy's that were not impressive. I don't think it would really effect the pricing though, most of that stuff buyers and sellers won't know about.

I guess it depends on what you are comparing the Chappy to . . . should be less than some, but more than others.

There is a Chaparral owner's site.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I asked my wife yesterday how many boats we have owned over the years, and she named over 14 until I cried uncle. We had one Chaparral, a 21 foot I think a 1999 year. I agree with tpnfield, on the range of quality. I liked the gelcote, which had hardly any spider cracks. The 3 Cobalts we've owned were I feel still top tier. We owned 1 Regal 20' open bow that we were very impressed with also and I would say comparable to our Cobalts. Most important to us is condition,condition ,condition. Most of the better brands nowadays use no wood in their boats, and that is probably why they are more expensive. I am partial to the Four Winns brand of boats, I think they are one of the best bangs for the buck boats out there. I still own a 2011 232 Cobalt, and a 1999 18' Four Winns. Each should last 30 years, and both look great. If looking to buy, I would not focus on a particular brand, but on a particular condition. Dave-R

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
on a boat coming up on 18 years, condition, maintenance and care is what is important, not brand

boatman37

Lieutenant
Yeah, i know about condition, condition, condition. just seemed more than coincidental that i saw maybe 1 or 2 of each brand under $25k but saw 4 or 5 chaps that were under $25k. couldn't notice much difference in condition as per the pics and nothing noted in the description that would indicate they needed any work. just curious to see if they were considered a lower value boat? i always thought they were supposed to be an above average quality.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Chaparral is a solid boat. Their owners seem to be rabid fans, who won't buy anything else. I consider them to be the Harley Davidson of boats.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Depends on various factors. The 90's chaps were OK but still built with a lot of wood as was state of the art at the time. The 2000's brought in a generational change with very little wood usage then later no wood usage. The 90's then to me were chap in name only when compared to that next Gen of chaps with all new hulls and materials. Further then the early 2000's small chaps being the under 20 footers are simply a better product than the competitors....the competition gave you a Toyota and want you to move to their larger lexus when you moved up but chap gave you a smaller lexus with the exception of one 18 footer that was discontinued. Larger boats are a whole different level of competition and compete on the margins. Midsized early to mid 2000's bow riders then the chaps are tough to beat. I am full time on my large lake and hang out next to every lake boat you can think of. The cobalts up to the mid 2000's didn't quite have it all together as they did in the later 2000's. If the cobalt without a head was a nicer boat, then that' what I would have on my lift. Chaparral does the details well but it is hard for any boat to be all things to all poeople. I could of course pick out one or two things from other boats that would have been nice on my chap. The small and midsized chaparrals then are simply not a mid quality boat...my 02 looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. You haven't owned one and tied up next to other boats assuming it wasn't a 90's small boat or their newer cheaper h20 series to have those words come out. Not a single wear mark or any kind what so ever on the inside....still looks like it could be used for the brochure because of the quality of materials and that is what I expect, it's not an outlier.
The fiberglass and gel again has no spider cracks either. The later 2000's then of course shifted again as many manufacturers shifted their designs and the landscape changed again.

tpenfield

Staff member
Don't tell anybody, but this is in the Chaparral 2017 SSX Owner's Manual . . .

2017 SSX SPORT BOATS

"Plywood

The plywood Chaparral uses throughout our boats is pressure treated
with a wood preservative and fungi inhibiting chemical before it is kiln
dried."

jkust

Rear Admiral
Don't tell anybody, but this is in the Chaparral 2017 SSX Owner's Manual . . .

2017 SSX SPORT BOATS

"Plywood

The plywood Chaparral uses throughout our boats is pressure treated
with a wood preservative and fungi inhibiting chemical before it is kiln
dried."

Because the ride qualities of wood are good except for the suceptibility to rot. Everything has a downside. Chap ride suferred when they went to no wood stringers when they replaced my hull with the current hull on their same sized boat for example. The plywood that that ssx mentions I believe is all above deck.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Would rather have a boat with some wood, than none. To the OP, if you are serious about a Chap (since you have asked this question on several sites) Make sure that the fuel tanks in the cruisers are plastic, not aluminum. If they are aluminum, have them surveyed for proper installation. Salty Chap Sig's have had issues with prematurely rotting tanks due to an issue during installation at the factory.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Thanks for that. Not really serious about a Chap but it is one i read when i see it advertised. always thought they were a good quality.