Steering rod stuck... could it have snapped ?

Mark Of Loxley

Recruit
Hi, no matter how much i grease it up over the winter, my steering rod always gets stuck. Usually a little coaxing free's it up. This year has been a busy one and I have only just got around to getting the boat ready for the water and the steering is siezed solid.
I have tried to upload a photo of the issue, but will attempt to describe it as the photo upload keeps failing.

The cable rod passes through the engine tilt tube.
When i undo the locking nut from the input end of the cable/rod I can move the steering wheel and the cable/rod moves in and out at that end... BUT the end of the rod which has passed through the tilt tube does not move !
It makes me think that the rod has snapped/sheared inside the tilt tube. Is this possible / likely to be my issue ?
If the rod has snapped, then how do i remove it ?
I am considering my only option to be to drill through the end of the rod protruding through the tilt tube and use a bar as a level to try and twist it free.
I have used all sorts of lubricants in an effort to de-seize any gunk, corrosion etc etc. All to no avail.
The boat is a 5.4M Avon RIB with a wakeboard tower bolted to transom, so I dont have a lot of 'swing' room, well none actually to get to 'hit' the end of the rod.
Any ideas, clues, advice would be appreciated. Also, why wont attachments upload ?

For clues, the image i was going to load was on this website
http://www.crowleymarine.com/support/tech_articles/remote-control-adaptor-kit-4.html
scroll down to the steering cable installation section and the image has a label 006392

Cheers
Mark

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome, you need 3 or 5 posts to do pictures so respond to this 2 moar times and your gtg

Good luck