Bimini top install on a round gunnel

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all - I have a 1976 skiff that has round gunnels. Probably about 3" in size. Will I be able to install a bimini top using the standard mounts for a flat gunnel? I've looked around and see they make mounts designed for mounting to bow rails but I don't think the curve will match up close enough.

Any thoughts for another method of attaching? Here's a pic: (you can see the round shape by the back corner, it extends the same all the way to the bow)

IMG_2922.JPG

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
File a small flat for the mount if it is thick fiberglass...The mounts are usually small so it would not take much.
Also from the picture you posted it look like your motor is sitting too low (could be the angle).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take the stainless bimini mounts and a belt-sander and contour the mounts.

easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
They do make side-mounts that could go on the vertical, inside part of the gunwale. Pictured is a heavy-duty stainless 4-hole job. They are also made in two-hole. Also in chrome-plated zinc, and in nylon.

Side-Mount-Plate-Stainless-Steeel-4-Holes_1.jpg

If you are planning to have it lay down on that foredeck, this might be your better way to go.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I just mounted bimini top brackets to a 2" wake board tower. Under the flat brackets, I made some concave shims from some HDPE. I used a band saw, and a spindle sander, and they look great. I think if it were me, I would file the small area, as suggested. Dave-R