Horizon 400 Windlass deploys but does not retract

I have a horizon 400 vertical windlass, circa 2003. After working fine for some time, the windlass recently stopped retracting the anchor. The windlass motor deploys the anchor with no problem. The deployment is motor-driven, not freefall. When it?s time to retract the anchor, the windlass starts retracting the anchor only to become sluggish before it finally quits.

My switch and solenoid show good continuity. I bypassed the electronics altogether by connecting a 12V battery directly to the windlass. Same symptoms. When I power the terminals, the anchor deploys with no problem. When I reverse the connections, the anchor retracts very sluggishly, and then it quits.

I read somewhere that if the motor works one way, then it 'should' work the other way. Has anybody had similar problems? I'm wondering if there's a sprocket or something that needs to be replaced, or if I need to replace the windlass motor, or if I need to replace the entire windlass. Obviously I want to avoid replacing the entire windlass.

If I had to replace the motor (which looks like it?s on the port side of the windlass casing), is it something that I can do myself, or should I hire somebody to do it? I'm fairly inclined, but when opening the windlass casing, the starboard side of the windlass guts looks like the inside of a watch. I'd rather not turn a molehill into a mountain if I can avoid it... Any advice?

Thank you.

alldodge

Staff member
The Lewmar models have had many issues. Yours sounds like something is dragging inside the gear box. The break may be binding or bearing issues. They require annual maintenance

Thank you for posting the tear-down video. I recently purchased this boat and this is my first windlass. Truth be told, I haven't been using this windlass correctly. I've used the winch to move my boat forward when retracting the anchor. I've abused the motor during retraction operations.

I pulled the windlass off the bow yesterday. Its sitting in my garage now. Is there a way to determine if I damaged the motor? The motor works fine, until I put a load on it. I only saw this during anchor retraction while I was on the boat. Thinking about this, it might only appear one-sided because anchor deployment had assistance from gravity. Are there tests that I can do to isolate the motor?

The winch looks very well maintained when I open the casing. There's no sign of rust or moisture anywhere. The gears are greased vigorously. If the motor is bad, I can replace the motor or take it to an alternator/starter shop and ask them to look at it. I'd like to try to go that route before I bring the entire winch to a shop and put myself at their mercy. What do you think? Is there anything that can be done to isolate and test the motor? Maybe pull the motor and check the brushes for corrosion? What do you think?

Thank you for your help.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know of a way to test it other then just using it. The DC motor should have no issue running FWD/REV and with it having trouble in only one direction, this would lead me to something dragging. If any of the bearings or bushings allow the gears to tilt a bit, this could be enough to cause some resistance. I would pull the motor apart and have a look, otherwise a local motor shop should be able to help

This ended up being a bad compound gear assembly (part number LEW 6052945). The motor operated fine once it was separated from the windlass. Tearing down the assembly reveled a broken 'bolt' within the gear. I initially tried to use a gear pusher to tear down the gear completely only to learn (after reading the manual) that the entire assembly is sold as a single part. I went on a hunt to find the part and I found it at some ship yard in Chicago. $300 later and its on it's way to my home in NY.

Thanks again for your help.