Bennett Trim Repair And Auto Pro Install

alldodge

Staff member
The port side trim cylinder needs repaired. It is cracked on the left side top and leaking fluid. The boat is a 1994 model so its kind of old. Looks like I can get the upper actuator hinge, just looking for the best repair and not necessarily the cheapest. Most the time I don't even use the tabs, but last weekend had several folks and a lot of weight. There is no corrosion and is in fresh water

Hey Tabman and others looking for recommendations?

Photo1269.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
holy carbon soot batman

Bob, a new cylinder is $68. a seal kit and hinge mount is much less, and that is the route I would go.

the big issue will be the 5200 you have bonding the hinge mount to your transom.

your going to need some Anti-bond 2015 (west marine - since iBoats doesnt carry it)

Tabman should be along shortly

alldodge

Staff member
That's the way I'm looking at it also, just don't relish sanding on my brand new paint job :(

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
debonder and a plastic putty knife should be enough to get the hinge mount loose.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Just a Guess on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tabman tell ya to send him that 1, 'n he'll send ya a new 1,....

Customer service from those folks is the Best,... Bar none,....

alldodge

Staff member
That would set me back in my chair a bit, agree they are great, but its 23 years old, things do wear out

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Can you post a photo of the bottom of the cylinder where the shaft exits, I want to see how much shaft is exposed when it is retracted. Once I see that I can advise on the best way to repair.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

alldodge

Staff member
Can you post a photo of the bottom of the cylinder where the shaft exits, I want to see how much shaft is exposed when it is retracted. Once I see that I can advise on the best way to repair.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Will do shortly

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
All you need is Bennett Part number A1103 to replace the upper hinge.

Tom
Bennett Marine

alldodge

Staff member
OK, will pick one up, many thanks Tom

Don't really want to get into the starboard side, but wonder if I should do it as well. Going to be a real Bi**h to even get to the pump to refill

alldodge

Staff member
Also seeing two different pics of the item, are they both correct?

BENA1103-2.jpg

s-l500.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Tabman both the above pics are listed as the same part number, I know its just a pic but would like to know if one is old stock or something else?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
They are just pictures, the top one is the most correct. The bottom one is a cad drawing, and I think it just represents all of them. The part number should yield the correct item.

Tom
Bennett Marine

alldodge

Staff member
Removed the cylinder today.
Removed hydraulic line inside, then the 3 screws holding the hinge (Don't know why its called a hinge, it doesn't move). SInce it was cracked I just snapped it off the rest of the way. Had an impact driver but didn't need it

Photo1316.jpg

Did some light hits all around with a 2 pound hammer, and it was light hits. Just wanted to break the outside loose. Grabbed hold and twisted it until I could spun it around a couple times, then used two pry bars to ease it out. I guess the white stuff is 3M 3299 but it is still a bit rubbery. Reminds me of butyl rubber. Havent decided but could drill the hole back out and reseal, or maybe use DeBond. Don't know if DeBond leaves anything behind which could keep things from sticking again

Photo1317.jpg

Unscrewed the cap and didn't know there was a spring inside, so things got a tad messy.

Letting the cylinder drain but wonder what is the recommended method of cleaning it up?

Photo1318.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Ya know if I would have read the instructions it would have been a bit easier and less messy, but what's the fun it that :D . There is a small piece of PVC pipe that comes with it and says to install on the shaft before removing the top cap. That piece keeps the shaft extended.
Photo1319.jpg

With the clip not installed the piston is all the way to the top.
Photo1320.jpg

So I stood on the bottom piece and pulled up enough to snap the piece on. Started to use my vice but then thought this is plastic, not a good idea.
Photo1321.jpg

With clip installed the piston is retracted
Photo1322.jpg

Once cap is screwed back on it will release the tension on the clip just a tad.
Photo1323.jpg

Now remove the clip and its ready for reinstall.
Photo1326.jpg

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Good work! Yeah, that little clip makes replacing the upper hinge much easier and less messy :).

The upper hinge is actually quite flexible and it's pretty unusual for them to fail like yours did.

bend

Tom
Bennett Marine

alldodge

Staff member
Just tried bend mine by hand and its pretty stiff, but pics tell the story. Mine being 22 years old may have had something to do with it. Might also have been the boat lift smacked the tab from me forgetting to retract the tab before loading, right now I don't know. In any case I'll need to pay more attention before lifting the boat. Thanks for the help

BTW, there is a guy on the Formula forum with an issue but have not seen you there
http://formulaboatsforum.com/VBFORUM/showthread.php?8508-Trim-Tab-Head-Scratcher&p=70672#post70672

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi AD, Looks like I will be following your lead on this one. It seems my Cylinder is leaking where the nipple threads into the upper hinge/cap. I just updated my thread. Where did you get the part from and how did unscrew the cap? It will be interesting to see how you clean out the hole in the transom to re seal it during installation.