Troubleshooting Trim Gauge

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a new to me 2004 Glastron GX-205, however the trim gauge and tachometer do not work. I was told that the tachometer just needs to be replaced, but the previous owner thought the trim gauge had come unhooked somewhere in the back of the boat. Any ideas where I should start looking?

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
Merc or Volvo ?
It's the Volvo SX outdrive. I did a bit of research and went out to take a look at it. It looks like the wire from the sending unit has been spliced together on the outside of the boat - I'm guessing I'll have to either run all new wires or replace the sending unit entirely. Any idea if these wires can just be replaced?

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Cant just replace the wires. They are a PIA to reach the plug on the inside and that is probably why the wires were spliced. Most people just splice the wires when they replace the sender .Maybe try and resplice them

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
Cant just replace the wires. They are a PIA to reach the plug on the inside and that is probably why the wires were spliced. Most people just splice the wires when they replace the sender .Maybe try and resplice them
Thanks. I'll see if I can get to them, any recommendations on waterproof splice connectors?

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
Well, after further inspection, it looks as though the conductors in the wires have gotten pulled out of the sending unit leaving only the insulation in place. Seems like I'm going to have to replace the whole thing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Next time my trim sender fails, am not going to replace it. Not worth the money. You will see what I mean when you start pricing the replacement sender.

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
Next time my trim sender fails, am not going to replace it. Not worth the money. You will see what I mean when you start pricing the replacement sender.

I've found them for about $130, at least for the 3 wire version - not sure if I can use that one since mine is the 2-wire model. I'd like to have it since I'm a novice and I feel like it might be helpful at the moment.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I've found them for about $130, at least for the 3 wire version - not sure if I can use that one since mine is the 2-wire model. I'd like to have it since I'm a novice and I feel like it might be helpful at the moment.
That's the correct one. You only use 2 of the 3 wires.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I don't think you can use the 3 wire. And I'm also in the did not replace category. All I did was count in my head from full up to full down , gives me a rough idea where its at and I just make sure to go full down before going full throttle.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I don't think you can use the 3 wire. And I'm also in the did not replace category. All I did was count in my head from full up to full down , gives me a rough idea where its at and I just make sure to go full down before going full throttle.
It's just a rheostat. One wire per end of the coil and one for the wiper. You only use the wiper and one from one of the ends. It even shows this is in the OEM manual. If you feed the cable through the drive and into the boat, the plug converts it from the 3 to 2.

sweebs

Seaman
or go with the 'you know it's all the way up or all the way down by the change in sound of the trim motor'