Looking for a quick and easy way to stow dock lines after shoving off

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I'm looking for a quick and easy way to stow my dock lines after shoving off, and to be able to quickly and easily access them when coming in to the dock.

For example, in the attached pic (not my boat, but same model), say I've got the forward dockline attached to the port cleat (green arrow); right now to stow it I have been opening the stupidly gargantuan anchor hatch (blue arrow) and shoving the spare line inside. (I've been doing something similar with a lidded compartment at the stern near the rear cleat on that dockline).

It would be so much more convenient if there was some way to quickly stow the excess line, I envision something like a fine mesh bag made from some decently UV-stable material, perhaps screwed or snapped to the gunwale, near the cleat (maybe in the area of the red arrow). Would not need (or want!) it to be very big, just enough to shove 20-25' of 3/8" nylon line into.
StowLine.jpg

I suppose I could make something myself, but does anyone know of a pre-made item like this? Or any recommendation for a different method of doing what I want to do? How does everyone else deal with docklines on an open-decked boat like this, especially when solo?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
We actually do use a breathable mesh bag to stow the lines. It isn't anything special, just a beach tote. Best method I've found. Lets them dry out and keeps them all accessible. Probably no need to strap it down, either. It should stay where you put it.

If you want to save time and effort, buy lines of different colors. I carry a half dozen lines aboard for transient docking and raft-ups...white 15' lines for the stern, blue 20' lines for the bow, and gold/white 30' lines for spring lines (your lengths will vary). My wife usually prepares the boat for docking/rafting while I'm at the bridge helm and things go a lot faster now that she knows what colors to grab.

My .02

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Loose lines are a safety hazard, plus they get filthy. Storage in a locker is OK, but quick access is a problem. Center consoles have notably less storage space. I hang the lines on line menders. They stay clean, dry fast and are readily accessible.

P7170268web.jpg P7170267web.jpg

flumdog

Cadet
You can do a quick coil and hang them on your bow and stern rails. That's what I often do.

[FONT=&quot]"To hang your dock lines on a bow rail, coil your bow line into a large coil. Lay half of the coil over the rail. Reach through the near half coil and grab the other half coil and pull it through the near half coil. Pull tight to secure it to the rail.[/FONT]

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just toss them into the boat
Me too. I also take the lines off their cleat so they don't accidentally end up flying out and end up in my prop.

Apparently JimS doesn't fish since that coil of line is a perfect hook magnet.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Dock lines are stored hanging from a rod holder on the hardtop to dry out.

Stowed in the bait well or splash well during use

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for all the ideas, guys.

I agree that line laying loose on my deck is a trip hazard or a hazard to fly off the back and wrap the prop, that's why I've got to get them off the deck.
I have been storing in the anchor locker and the baitwell...but I don't want to do that anymore, and quick access is an issue.
I can't do the coil thing, because there is no rail in the back, and I don't think there's any way that would stay in place up front the way I run.
And I do see how any option would be a possible hook magnet.

I do like the line mender idea from JimS123 ; however I wonder: are those hard plastic or more of a flexible rubber material? Are those going to be "knee-knockers"? Just exactly how do those clamp/secure the rope?

I did also come across the idea of "sheet bags" like sailboats use:
SheetBag.jpg

But I can't find anything in the small size I need. I might have to make something.

briangcc

Commander
With a boat like that I'd just get some double sided velcro, disconnect the lines from the cleats, coil, velcro, and toss on the dash to dry. Easy to reverse. Jo Ann's Fabrics should carry it or be able to get it for you.

Me, I've always left them attached and simply tossed the loose ends on the seat. I only disconnect from the cleat when I pull the boat and then toss them in a side panel. Then again, bowrider here. And yes, I fish :D

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
And I do see how any option would be a possible hook magnet.
Anything protruding from or above a surface will cause problems sooner later. Those that fish a lot go as far as to replace fixed cleats with pop ups to eliminate the possibty of getting a line or clothing hung up on a cleat.

If emergency access to a line is important, install an automatic line deployment system. It's quick, effective and voice attivated.

Most top quality auto deployment systems work on telepathy. My ADS have the lines attached waiting further instructions by the time we get to the dock....lol

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
...Most top quality auto deployment systems work on telepathy. My ADS have the lines attached waiting further instructions by the time we get to the dock....lol

I'm solo 90% of the time. But when I do have a crew, only one of them has telepathy and/or will do anything I say...and unfortunately he's not that good at coiling line.

crew.jpg

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Great topic! On my express cruiser, my bow line doubles as spring line, and gets "stored" on the flat/empty port side of the dash, protected by the windshield. Stern lines get thrown on the aft. seat. I like the bag idea

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe it's my fishing mentality, but anything that doesn't need to be on deck, is stowed. No ropes on deck unless we're about to tie up to something. Same for fenders, Admiral's bag of stuff, etc. On the cruiser, dock lines are stowed under a seat usually. In the fishing rig, they're in a compartment. One fore, one aft.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm solo 90% of the time. But when I do have a crew, only one of them has telepathy and/or will do anything I say...and unfortunately he's not that good at coiling line
I had a crew like that at one time.....the beatings continued until moral improved....lol

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I did also come across the idea of "sheet bags" like sailboats use:

But I can't find anything in the small size I need. I might have to make something.

That looks like the tote we use. My wife just informed me that ours is actually a canvas grocery bag that she bought at the supermarket for $1.99

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
On the family boat the lines are stowed in the open side compartments. That way they are accessible AND dry out. I won't store a wet line inside where it would stay wet.

Funny thing, the pics I posted before WERE on my fishing boat. That's ALL I do on that boat. I have a silly habit though of keeping the line and hooks in the WATER, so I have never hooked a line yet. In any event, I would be more worried about hooking my knee that I would hooking a line.

The line menders I referenced are flexible plastic and work awesome. They snap closed and pop open with the touch of 1 finger. I can fit a 25' line in each one. They are mounted in the corner, where I don't usually walk, so knee knocking would be awful difficult.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a silly habit though of keeping the line and hooks in the WATER, so I have never hooked a line yet.
I have a silly habit of catching fish so the fishing line ends up in the boat a lot of the time.

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What about a set of those retractable dock lines? I ran across some browsing Craigslist a couple of days ago?

roffey

Commander
I have two sets of lines and bumpers. One set stays on the dock. All I need do is loop them through the cleats when I dock at home. If I am on a visit I use the ones I have stowed.