livewell tubing in Sea Nymph

evfalcon

Recruit
Had a problem yesterday. The livewell tubing cracked at the back of the boat and my 1984 Sea Nymph took on a lot of water. How in the heck is this replaced? It's to brittle to just cut the broken piece off and replace that portion. The livewell sits nearer the front of the boat. Does a person have to take the floor out to access the other end of this tube? I really don't want to do that. I have perused the Internet and cannot find any help. Can anyone out there help me with this? I have pictures I can try to upload, if that helps?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You most likely need to dissassemble much of the boat to replace the lines and fittings. Your boat is 33 years old, and the design life of the plastic is 10 years

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
No easy fixes here.

Well, one.
Seal the livewell intake and drain.
Use livewell as storage locker..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you are going to know more about your boat then you thought.

Is there any possible way to remove the live well itself to access the hoses. Some times there is a liner in place that can be removed to allow that. But if not, then yes, you will have to cut into the hull to get access to the hose and fittings. But, it isn't as scary as it may seem. If you know where the hose fittings come in at the live well compartment itself, cut a nice rectangular section out to gain access and install new hose(s) and then repair the cutout back again.

If you do go that route, replace all the hoses and not just the fill or drain hose. If one is aged to being that brittle, the others are probably as well. And before you pull out the old hoses, attach the new hose to them so you pull the new ones in as the old ones are removed.

Hope this helps if even a little. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
For what its worth, it took me a week to dis-assemble and re-assemble my ex-father-in-law's boat to replace all the livewell lines and fittings. there were 3 livewells on the boat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
For reasons Scott mentioned, replacing every thru hull, plastic fitting and rubber hose on the boat was first thing I did after buying my then five year old boat.

Fortunately, my builder had the forethought to provide access to all critical components. Still took the better part of a week to complete the work.

I recommend you replace the entire plumbing system. If needed, deck plates are your friend.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Although this is a long-shot, try lifting the livewell far enough to see the fill, drain, and overflow lines. Have someone at the stern tug at the fill and drain lines. If you can see movement up front it means the tubing is not secured. You could tie new line at the stern, cut the line up front and then pull in the new line as the old is pulled out. Make a secure connection between the old and new because it comes undone you are now faced with opening the deck to gain access. As I said, this is a long shot but give it a try.

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Although this is a long-shot, try lifting the livewell far enough to see the fill, drain, and overflow lines. Have someone at the stern tug at the fill and drain lines. If you can see movement up front it means the tubing is not secured. You could tie new line at the stern, cut the line up front and then pull in the new line as the old is pulled out. Make a secure connection between the old and new because it comes undone you are now faced with opening the deck to gain access. As I said, this is a long shot but give it a try.

If it isn't secured you might try a trick I used. Chances are that if the tubing is brittle it you will not be able to pull it out without it breaking off at some point. Try this. Push a fish tape (or other cable) through the existing line. Then secure one end of the cable and pull the old line out leaving the cable in the hull. You can then use the cable to pull new plumbing through the original route and pull a couple of additional ropes or small cables through for future use. Worked for me!