Draining gas from tank on a Sea Ray SRV 220, 1972

lsay

Recruit
I am trying to find out the best way to drain the old gas from my fuel tank.

ziggy

Admiral
i have used this hand siphon pump with success.

i drained my fuel while on the trailer. doing this was beneficial since i could set the gas can on the ground. the boat is high, the can is low. pump the hand siphon till it starts to flow. then let it be a real siphon.
i suppose ya could do it in the water but you'd be pumping for ever. + there's the possibility of a spill in the lake. that wouldn't be good. so hopefully ya can drain your fuel while on the hard .

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the boat is on a trailer, and you can get to the fuel gaude sender, you can use a simply siphon to drain the gas. Block the bow high to force the fuel to the rear, remove the gas gauge sender, and stick a "shake-shake" siphon into the tank, as far astern as she will go. You may need to put a piece of 1/2" copper pipe on the end of the siphon hose, and you can stick it thru the garboard drain fitting. Stick a gas can + funnel under the garboard drain fitting and start the siphon. Monitor and change gas cans as necessary. No smoking!!

sweebs

Seaman
I've used compressed air to pressurize the tank and an extension hose (to extend fuel line out through drain plug hole and into a bucket) to drain tank of 8 year old gas, looked like iced tea