Slippery boat ramp

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat ramp that I use to launch my bass boat and jet skis has a portion on one side that is not grooved and heavily laden with moss. It's coefficient of friction is approaching zero and many people have slipped and fallen on that portion of the ramp.

Does anyone know if OSHA regulations cover boat ramps?

Also, in this age of underwater epoxies and such, is there any compound that can be applied underwater to concrete to make it less slippery?

Thanks,
TV

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
OSHA covers work environments

Who owns the ramp?
talk to them

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
every ramp I know of is a "use at your own risk" thing

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Anybody that's spent much time near water already knows,...
Never step on the green slime,.....

Nothin', but Nothin' stops the formation of algae, 'n slime,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ayuh,.....Never step on the green slime,.....

its the only thing in the world to accelerate my mass from 0 to 20mph in under 0.001 seconds. usually I come to a stop by grabbing the trailer wheel

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
The only time an OSHA regulation would come into play here is if an employee of the owner of the boat ramp was working on it and slipped. If you are using it, you assume the risk.

In regards to coatings, all coatings must be applied when the surface is dry. Even then, the green slime will form. The only way to keep it clean is pressure washing the algae away, and yes, pressure washers are effective at close range under water. However, at the rate the green slime forms, it would need to be done frequently.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the replies all.

I spoke to the young man who works for the club that owns the ramp and he said that "countless" people have slipped on the non-grooved portion of the ramp through the years. I went back to the ramp yesterday and with my Keen sandals on, the grooved portion of the concrete ramp is not very slippery at all. The additional part that looks like a sidewalk is impossible to navigate without the laws of gravity bringing one's center of mass closer to the earth's core.

BTW, I'm not an attorney, but the "boat/bowl at your own risk theory," according to my attorney buddy, doesn't mean squat. Negligence is negligence and if countless people have busted their butts, I'm amazed that it hasn't been addressed.

Thanks all!!

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have constructed 2 boat ramps in my 30yrs as a concrete finisher. The finished surface has to be grooved and rough as a cob. The only solution to your problem is to tear it out and re pour it. There is no coating that I know of that could be applied that would adhere well enough to give a non slip finish,,,,,

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
"Ha ha, your lawyer buddy. What did your osha attorney say?"

Hmmm, I know plenty of attorneys, but no OSHA attorneys. I figured that OSHA only employed bureaucrats and inspectors. Maybe OSHA should take a look at the ramp to ensure the safety of the employees that work there.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could always talk to both the owner and the people using the ramp and collect enough funds to have a concrete grinder come in and grind some line across the ramp to help with the slippery situation. If you collect a few dollars from other boaters, you could hire some cement groovers (probably not a word) to do it. It doesn't have to be nice looking or all the way either. Just an idea.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Negligence is negligence and if countless people have busted their butts, I'm amazed that it hasn't been addressed.

Not a lawyer, but a slippery ramp isn't negligence. That is about the same as running an ice-rink and having someone slip on the ice. The user should expect the ramp to be slippery and take reasonable precautions at all times. I personally boat at a ramp that is as slippery as fish the instant you get past the water line. If you aren't holding on to a vehicle or the boat, you will be sliding under the trailer.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
The ice rink is a good example of personal responsibility!!

But, what if the ice in one corner of the rink isn't really ice because the refrigeration tubes beneath the rink are not working correctly and it's really just a slick layer of water on top of a little bit of ice?

AND, what if the owner of the rink has had numerous people slip on that section of the ice and bust their butts and has never chosen to repair it.

AND, then someone skating on that section of the rink goes up in the air, slaps their head, and dies? I would think that the owner of the rink has been negligent and is in a heap of trouble.

Whatcha think? Couldn't the same analogy be applied to a boat ramp that has a poorly designed section that countless people have slipped and fallen on, some with minor or major injuries, and yet the owner of the boat ramp has made no attempt to make changes to the ramp or at least put warning signs up?

TV

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A rule I have is to never practice medicine or law on the internet. But I do know for a fact that everyone must mitigate damages on property they own.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Back in the 80's one of my responsibilities was to dock incoming Lake Freighters at the plant, sometimes into December. The dock was covered in ice. If you walked where it was slippery you fell, and could fall in the Bay. Don't walk where you can fall.

There are products out there than can be applied as a non slip surface to concrete or wood sold at places like Home Depot and Lowes, this ain't rocket science folks.

thumpar

Admiral
I just hold on to whatever part of the truck/trailer I need to on slippery ramps. I don't blame others for my actions.