Livewell intake distance from prop

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have finally got ready to start several projects on my boat (got a bunch of 5x8 sheets of 1/8 aluminum dirt cheap) including my livewell, bait well and float pods. I plan to use a TH marine ez pump on the intake to feed the wells. My question is how far away from the prop do I need to keep the intake? I know having things disturbing the water around the prop can cause cavitation, and I need to know how far away it needs to be, because I want the pods as wide as possible while still leaving room for everything else.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Every live well intake I've ever seen is on transom of the boat at least a couple inches up from the hull/bottom of the boat so there should be no water flow disruption. I've also seen the intakes anywhere from a couple inches to over a foot to either side of the lower unit/prop.

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The TH marine ez pump doesnt really go below the bottom of the hull, but it does pull water in while on plane so it clearly does disturb the water slightly. It's probably not enough to matter, but it is different than a normal intake that's why I made sure to specify that I would be using it. The reason I'm concerned it might be an issue is that some intakes are actually a scoop on the bottom of the hill and I have heard those can cause issues.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
james, unless you have set up the intake on the very bottom of the hull facing the bottom of the water straight down, when you are on a plane, it will not pick up any water. And that is how most are setup. Once you stop, everything works like it is supposed to do, but not when running the lake, ocean or river. If you install a scoop type intake, then you risk hitting it on something and ripping the scoop off.

If you were to look at your transom when running, the water doesn't even touch the vertical section of the transom when on a plane. The water shoots off the very bottom of the hull in a slight upward fashion to allow for water pick up with your engine water impeller/pump that usually gets it input just below the cavitation plate of the engine. JMHO

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I'm familiar with the ez pump system.
Don't think it will be an issue if your outboard ?? is mounted at the correct height.

Don't know anything about your boat, motor, pods, or project, so with this limited info, I guess you will need to try it and find out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have two scoop type pump (live well and washdown) intakes on the bottom of my hull. One each side of keel. ~12" in from transom and 12" off center.

Running a 17.25" 4- blade prop