Chaparral 190 SSi

bunger

Cadet
I have been looking for a 20' bowrider and keep coming across a couple of Chaparral 190s. This specific one is a 2005.

I had been looking at the 20' range mostly for people space - I am not looking to host a party, but would be nice to fit 8 people comfortably.

NADA shows the length of the 190 at 20' and the 204 also at 20', but the 204 is roughly 7" wider.

Does anyone have a Chaparral 190 ssi in that rough year range that can speak to how much space there is?

Thanks!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Any 19'er is going to be tight with 8 adults. Six would not be too bad, but 8 will be cramped, especially if you plan daylong trips.

Maclin

Admiral
The 7" difference in beam (width) may not seem like much on paper but it is very noticeable in interior comfort, even ride. Can translate into more storage, and sometimes into more innovative seating.

Maclin

Admiral
Left out a clause...the extra beam when combined with the extra length, plays out nice.

jkust

Rear Admiral
The 190SSi was manufactured starting in 2002 known then as the 183ss but rebadged as the 190ssi in 2004 and made exactly the same for several more years. From about 2001 to 2008, Chaparral and many others were very lazy with their designs. The 190ssi I believe is THE heaviest 18 foot bowrider made at over 3000lbs of dry weight with the medium optioned v6 and heavier yet with the V8 option which. This was an 18 foot boat that accomodated 270hp which is unusual. It also has an unusually large 33 gallon gas tank further adding to the weight. It was 18'3" without the optional swim platform and 19'11" with the optional swim platform. In other words it is an 18 foot boat with a platform to get close to the 20 that it is listed as, in some places. I owned that same boat for eight year and can tell you everything any anything about it. There is very good storage space and usable space at that whereby Chaparral for example created segregated storage via king starboard materials in the engine compartment instead of net material or worse just an empty space. Eight people on an 18 foot boat will get uncomfortable very fast especially if you have any kids on there. We had four total and as our kids got bigger it became uncomfortable....now our 24 footer is the minimum size for our same family of four with one 16 year old, one twelve year old, my wife and I. All of us are fit and not heavy. The 24 footer is rated for 12 but that is unreasonable as well.

bunger

Cadet
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for - thanks!

While a 22-24' open bow,would definitely provide more room, I'm looking for a boat that can handle both a large bay and small inland lakes - a 22-24' would definitely be too large for some of th lakes.

I will focus on 20' boats with a wider beam.

Thanks!!

jkust

Rear Admiral
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for - thanks!

While a 22-24' open bow,would definitely provide more room, I'm looking for a boat that can handle both a large bay and small inland lakes - a 22-24' would definitely be too large for some of th lakes.

I will focus on 20' boats with a wider beam.

Thanks!!
Keep in mind that some boats cheap out on the actual running surface of the fiberglass...such as some of the Rinkers. Rinker and Chaparral for different demographics. So an 18 Foot Chaparral for example can have the same running surface as a longer boat that has cut corners....i'm not talking about swim platforms. Then, the whole reason I mention the weight of the 190 Chaparral is that again, it is as heavy or heavier as some longer boats giving you a decent ride. It however doesn't have a full 8'6" beam and of course comfortable seating for eight for us is a much larger boat or pontoon. There's sort of a fine line as to when a boat is too large for a particular lake. Eight in a 20 foot boat can still be less than ideal but of course people will jam any amount of people in any size boat as I see all the time on our lake and comfort doesn't enter their thought process.