Crazy Thinking-14' Ski boat conversion?

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, I have a 14' Aluminum semi V that just sits in my garage. Here it is.

little%20boat_zps4ivsxhts.jpg

We just use on pontoon these days, and when I want to fish on something smaller, the FIL has a 14' Jon boat. So she just sits.

Well, my buddy and I were chewing fat at the lake the other day, and were thinking of what we could do with it. I mentioned that I also have a 65 hp Johnson sitting in my garage, and we thought, why not build a mini ski boat?

So what my thoughts where, build a hatch for the bow for fuel tank and storage, console, 2 seats, floor of some kind, beefier transom, repaint etc. I have all the parts to make it happen sitting around. Great idea, crazy one, a little bit of both?

Maclin

Admiral
Wow, you have a really big garage, bad leak though, full of water now :D

I think the shape of the hull at the stern will determine how much luck you have after all those mods when at speed. If it is rounded up the the edges then I think it would be a scary chine-walker. Cool name though, "Scary ChineWalker". Well, not so much Chine walker as Chineless Roller maybe, if it does not have chines. Maybe add some tabs as far out as you can.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I think it depends, in part, on who will be skiing and what kind of skiing they want to do. I taught my young kids to ski off a 14 ft aluminum boat with a 25 hp 4 stroke. The skiers were very light, they were on 2 skis, did not go very fast. What is the hp rating for that boat?

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I think it depends, in part, on who will be skiing and what kind of skiing they want to do. I taught my young kids to ski off a 14 ft aluminum boat with a 25 hp 4 stroke. The skiers were very light, they were on 2 skis, did not go very fast. What is the hp rating for that boat?

It doesn't have a capacity plate. I can rebuilt the transom accordingly.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Wow, you have a really big garage, bad leak though, full of water now :D

I think the shape of the hull at the stern will determine how much luck you have after all those mods when at speed. If it is rounded up the the edges then I think it would be a scary chine-walker. Cool name though, "Scary ChineWalker". Well, not so much Chine walker as Chineless Roller maybe, if it does not have chines. Maybe add some tabs as far out as you can.

Port and startboard edges are rounded, but the transom is not. Tabs could easily be added.

jbcurt00

Staff member
It doesn't have a capacity plate. I can rebuilt the transom accordingly.

According to what? Even in the absence of a plate, there is no way that boat was rated for more then half your intended overpowered 65hp motor and I havent seen the pix you posted. Its MIA, I dont know why. Its happening somewhat randomly. How did you post the pix? Iboats upload or 3rd party code?

Rebuilding it to suit your new purpose is likely to weigh quite a bit more then it did originally, so weight capacity will be adversely affected, using the correct max rated motor, more so severely overpowered.

A small tin fishing boat semi-V wouldnt be my 1st choice to ski behind, but it has been done, and can be done w a reasonable powered OB.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
According to what? Even in the absence of a plate, there is no way that boat was rated for more then half your intended overpowered 65hp motor and I havent seen the pix you posted. Its MIA, I dont know why. Its happening somewhat randomly. How did you post the pix? Iboats upload or 3rd party code?

Rebuilding it to suit your new purpose is likely to weigh quite a bit more then it did originally, so weight capacity will be adversely affected, using the correct max rated motor, more so severely overpowered.

A small tin fishing boat semi-V wouldnt be my 1st choice to ski behind, but it has been done, and can be done w a reasonable powered OB.[/QUOTE]

That's why I'm asking. It's just in the thinking out loud stages at this point. Picture is hosted on photobucket posted using the "picture" box in full edit mode. Skiing isnt' the only goal. It's more of a why not/still gonna send it idea.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
FWIW, I also have a 60 hp Johnson twin that weighs a decent amount less.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I guess a better way to put it is I want to convert a tinner into something along the lines of a Hydrostream Viper. Way small, with big power.

2w6yqys.jpg

Maclin

Admiral
Well, that Hydrostream has a pad at the bottom of the stern that, as the boat lifts from the strakes, it finally rides on, and that is all the hull that is in the water.

aspeck

Staff member
I don't think the hull of that tinny is constructed for speed. There are 2 ways to find out ... consult a boating manufacturing engineer and "float" your idea past them, or try it and find out. Without knowing your level of expertise behind the wheel of a squirrely, fast, motor boat, I would have to say, "Don't do it! Please! Don't do it! Your finished product will be over rated in horsepower and in weight. There is just no logical reason to do such a fool thing."

But with that said, if I had the time and the supplies, it would be fun to find out!

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think the hull of that tinny is constructed for speed. There are 2 ways to find out ... consult a boating manufacturing engineer and "float" your idea past them, or try it and find out. Without knowing your level of expertise behind the wheel of a squirrely, fast, motor boat, I would have to say, "Don't do it! Please! Don't do it! Your finished product will be over rated in horsepower and in weight. There is just no logical reason to do such a fool thing."

But with that said, if I had the time and the supplies, it would be fun to find out!

I've got both of those things, that's for sure. Might try and trade the 65 for a bit smaller motor, and work up from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikevision

Cadet
Growing up we put a 35hp on a 13ft semi v tinner and it was stupidly scary fast. Putting around the lake was pretty fun. We then had the bright idea to try and pull a tube. All was going well until we crossed our wake and smashed the hull in in the front just like hitting a wall. We didn't sink it but destroyed the boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I guess a better way to put it is I want to convert a tinner into something along the lines of a Hydrostream Viper. Way small, with big power.

2w6yqys.jpg

Growing up we put a 35hp on a 13ft semi v tinner and it was stupidly scary fast. Putting around the lake was pretty fun. We then had the bright idea to try and pull a tube. All was going well until we crossed our wake and smashed the hull in in the front just like hitting a wall. We didn't sink it but destroyed the boat.

Yep ^^^ oil canned it :facepalm:

You just explained why this is not a good idea.

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
When I was a kid (think early 1960's), I learned to water ski behind a 14 ft runabout that my Dad dickered a guy out of. It had an old Johnson "Sea 35 Horse", that did an ok job of hauling a couple of us kids up on double skis, with my parents in the boat. The boat was older as well, likely a 1950's design; and as I recall, the hull wasn't much different in appearance to your fishing boat. The bow was enclosed, had a plastic windshield and a steering wheel... I CERTAINLY would NOT try the 65 HP engine on that thing, but something in the range of 20 to 30 HP (in modern ratings) should be a lot of fun.

-Vern

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, I've decided I'm going to move forward with the rebuild, but end up with a different motor. Goal is to tear it to bare hull, reinforce, then go from there.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The statue for your state of Kansas.

32-1126. Capacity limits.
(a) No person shall operate any vessel on any waters of this state carrying passengers or cargo beyond the safe passenger and cargo carrying capacity of the vessel as specified on the capacity plate required by subsection (b).
(b) Every vessel less than 20 feet on length designed to carry two or more persons and to be propelled by machinery as its principal source of power or designed to be propelled by oars, if manufactured or offered for sale in this state by the manufacturer after November l, l972, shall have permanently affixed thereto by the manufacturer a capacity plate as required by this section. Such capacity plate shall bear the following:
(l) For all vessels designed for or represented by the manufacturer as being suitable for use with outboard motor:
(A) The total weight of persons, motor, gear and other articles placed aboard which the vessel is capable of carrying with safety under normal conditions.
(B) The recommended number of persons commensurate with the weight capacity of the vessel and the presumed weight in pounds of each such person. In no instance shall such presumed weight per person be less than l50 pounds.
(C) Clear notice that the information appearing on the capacity plate is applicable under normal conditions and that the weight of the outboard motor and associated equipment is considered to be a part of total weight capacity.
(D) The maximum horsepower of the motor the vessel is designed or intended to accommodate.
(2) For all other vessels to which this section applies:
(A) The total weight of persons, gear and other articles placed aboard which the vessel is capable of

carrying with safety under normal conditions.
(B) The recommended number of persons commensurate with the weight capacity of the vessel and

the presumed weight in pounds of each such person. In no instance shall such presumed weight per person be less than l50 pounds.
(C) Clear notice that the information appearing on the capacity plate is applicable under normal conditions.
The secretary is authorized to adopt, in accordance with K.S.A. l989 Supp. 32-805 and amendments

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
The statue for your state of Kansas.

32-1126. Capacity limits.
(a) No person shall operate any vessel on any waters of this state carrying passengers or cargo beyond the safe passenger and cargo carrying capacity of the vessel as specified on the capacity plate required by subsection (b).
(b) Every vessel less than 20 feet on length designed to carry two or more persons and to be propelled by machinery as its principal source of power or designed to be propelled by oars, if manufactured or offered for sale in this state by the manufacturer after November l, l972, shall have permanently affixed thereto by the manufacturer a capacity plate as required by this section. Such capacity plate shall bear the following:
(l) For all vessels designed for or represented by the manufacturer as being suitable for use with outboard motor:
(A) The total weight of persons, motor, gear and other articles placed aboard which the vessel is capable of carrying with safety under normal conditions.
(B) The recommended number of persons commensurate with the weight capacity of the vessel and the presumed weight in pounds of each such person. In no instance shall such presumed weight per person be less than l50 pounds.
(C) Clear notice that the information appearing on the capacity plate is applicable under normal conditions and that the weight of the outboard motor and associated equipment is considered to be a part of total weight capacity.
(D) The maximum horsepower of the motor the vessel is designed or intended to accommodate.
(2) For all other vessels to which this section applies:
(A) The total weight of persons, gear and other articles placed aboard which the vessel is capable of

carrying with safety under normal conditions.
(B) The recommended number of persons commensurate with the weight capacity of the vessel and

the presumed weight in pounds of each such person. In no instance shall such presumed weight per person be less than l50 pounds.
(C) Clear notice that the information appearing on the capacity plate is applicable under normal conditions.
The secretary is authorized to adopt, in accordance with K.S.A. l989 Supp. 32-805 and amendments

The boat is a 1965, pre capacity plate. Thanks for the link though.

jbcurt00

Staff member
It likely had a plate, it just doesnt now......

My 50s boats all do.....

You should name the boat Foster*

*Aussie for beer: AKA the oil can