gas gauge not working now.

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello everyone, well I just had a new steering cable installed in my boat and now my gas gauge does not work anymore, It worked great until the new cable was installed. now when you turn on the key the needle just stays at the bottom like there is no power going to it . the mechanic says there is power going to the gauge and thinks something happened to the sending unit. does this sound a little strange? thanks .

alldodge

Staff member
What motor you working on?

The steering cable goes down the same side as all the wires going to the motor and the fuel sender. My guess is the wire was damaged or disconnected of the gauge or sender.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I'd agree with AllDodge. The steering cable mounts to the helm right up near all your gauges, and would run with the electrical wires to the sending unit. There is a good chance that a wire was bumped, puller, damaged, or disconnected when the cable was being pulled out or re-installed. Check the gauge itself to see if all wires are connected. Then at the sending unit. Hope to find a loose or disconnected wire somewhere!

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd agree with AllDodge. The steering cable mounts to the helm right up near all your gauges, and would run with the electrical wires to the sending unit. There is a good chance that a wire was bumped, puller, damaged, or disconnected when the cable was being pulled out or re-installed. Check the gauge itself to see if all wires are connected. Then at the sending unit. Hope to find a loose or disconnected wire somewhere!

thanks, I will give that a try .

alldodge

Staff member
Go to the tank sender and with the key ON, jump the sender wire to ground. If wire is good it will peg the meter to full. If nothing happens trace the wire to the gauge (will be pink for a Merc)