Anti siphon valve issue?

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just installed a below deck gas tank in my 21' Dixie and can't get my primer bulb to draw any fuel. It would prime just fine when I had it on a portable tank but just wont work with the new(used) tank.Could it be the anti siphon valve? I took it off of the tank and when I squeeze the bulb I can feel air going both ways. This doesn't seem right.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
If air is going toward the tank when you squeeze, either the primer bulb is installed backwards, or the check valve in the primer bulb has issues.

Make sure the bulb is installed with "the arrow" pointed toward the engine. It sometimes helps to lift and point the arrow up while trying to get it to prime.

Might want to check for any possible air leaks between the tank and the bulb, because it will suck in air instead of lifting the fuel out of the tank. Something as simple as using a 3/8" hose on a 5/16 fitting may prevent it from clamping and sealing tight enough.

If it is installed pointing the correct direction, and still won't work, your bulb has gone bad, replace it.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ruled out the bulb by connecting it to my portable 12 gal tank and it primed just fine. I ruled out the fuel line by connecting the bulb directly to the anti siphon valve at the tank. I haven't yet removed the valve and tried a straight connector. Could it be that my on board tank sits about a foot higher then the portable tank does?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Does the built-in tank have a vent? Unlike your portable tank, the cap on the built-in tank is sealed.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went to parts store first thing this morning and got a new anti siphon valve. 3 pumps and I could feel the fuel in the bulb. 3 more pumps and it was firm. Problem solved.