Hello From WV

ShaggyBoat

Recruit
Hello

I am looking at a 1996 Bayliner 2050 Capri SS. The boat is in really good condition. Garage kept in the winter and under a carport during the summer. It has the 5.0 engine. I checked it out yesterday and the floors are all solid. No fade and all upholstry is crack free. It wouldn't start though due to a dead battery. I am supposed to go back today. He is asking $5500 for it which seems in line with NADA values with options. He's had it 5 years and has only performed oil changes. If he gets it running today we are going out for a water test. I plan to check for leaks especially around the bellows etc. Do you think this price is reasonable if it checks out?

Maclin

Admiral
Welcome! Price might be a little high, but it is prime selling season. It does depend on what all options it has that are still in good shape, like Bimini Top, Custom Mooring cover,bow cover, cockpit cover, nice working Stereo, Stainless steel prop, brakes (working) on trailer, etc. Any of those in not good condition will detract from value in my opinion.

Major thing is that after 5 years and only oil changes it will need impeller, gear oil change, new bellows, gimbal checked, bunch of stuff you will want to do before you take it out with the family. I think with lack of documentation on recent services, especially impeller and bellows, you need to allow about a grand to get all that done, so your family starts out anew on the required maintenance.

Try to verify it has no water in bilge or ski locker before you launch on the sea trial. After running for a bit look in the bilge and ski locker for any new water, then when loading what what comes out the bilge drain when they remove the plug. Really give the bow floor a good bounce or two. Look at the windshield center section, and open/close it and watch how easily (or not) it opens and lines back up again. Pay attention to what "spot" you are looking at that seems to affect the seller's comfort level negatively.

I love spending money for other people! But the best advice I have is Be ready NOT to buy.

Good luck!

ShaggyBoat

Recruit
I drove the boat yesterday. She runs great! She took on zero water during our test drive. I checked everywhere I could and found nothing. Oil pressure and engine temps are great. Guy wanted $5500 and I tried to get it for $4500 but he said no. We settled on 5K. Picking her up today. I'll post pictures later.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a solid deal. Good luck. I would plan on getting the drive all up to date on preventative maintenance.