Finally Settled on a Boat

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1991 Bayliner Capri 1850. The boat passed all of my tests and is very solid. Motor is 3.0L Mercruiser with Alpha One outdrive. Tach doesn't work and neither does speedo. I found the air line disconnected at the fitting behind the prop, but want to blow out the line before I reconnect it since who knows how long it's been off for. As for the tach. I see a gray wire coming from the harness from the dash and I see 2 wires coming from the distributor. Neither are connected to each other. I will post pics later for advice on that. Thanks for all the advice, it really helped me. I went through numerous garbage boats before finding this one and I never would have found all the issues I did without you guys! I would have bought something that was trash.

southkogs

Staff member
Congratulations ... but it didn't happen without pictures ;)

Alumarine

Captain
Glad you found something you liked.

The gray wire should go from the - side of the distributor to the Sender terminal of the tach if it's a points distributor.

southkogs

Staff member
For all the bad press Bayliner gets, they sure do make a pretty lookin' boat. :thumb:

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very clean looking for the year compared to what i see around here! Congrats.

Spence340

Seaman Apprentice
Man, for a 1991 boat that thing looks awesome. Did the previous owner keep it garaged or something?

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
nice looking boat !!! it appears very clean and well kept .. enjoy your new toy!!

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man, for a 1991 boat that thing looks awesome. Did the previous owner keep it garaged or something?
They kept it barn stored in the winters. This owner only had it 2 years so I would suspect the condition is a result of the owner before them. I am taking it to the local marine mechanics to get a full once over and tune up. The owner said they did it but had no receipts so for me it's cheap insurance. Plus, they may find something I missed in my inspection.