Ski rope anchor

Chilligeorge

Cadet
How and what is the proper way to attach a ski rope attachment to a boat. Sorry for not knowing the correct terms

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are you talking about a ski eye? What type of boat do you have? Are you replacing hardware that was previously in place or are you starting from scratch? Are you talking about a ski pylon?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on the boat.

most I/O's have a tow eye

most outboard require a bridle between the transom eyes or ski pylon to get over the motor

most ski boats have a ski pylon

Chilligeorge

Cadet
Sorry for the late delay I had a motorcycle accident and I've been in the hospital for a week or so the boat is a 1984 16 foot Invader inboard outboard and there is no attachment points on the back of the boat it has docking hooks or Cleaves I guess you might call them but other than that there's nothing. I can't upload pictures it says it's too large

fhhuber

Lieutenant
If doing the simple eyes through the transom... they will be HEAVY duty tow eyes. Generally the holes are drilled above the at anchor waterline. Large thick washers inside and outside to spread load

These have to catch the heaviest part of the transom (if it isn't the same thickness the entire transom) or they'll pull through.

There is a kit used for putting a ski pylon onto Bass boats which has the pylon screw into one of the seat post mounts and then has 2 support poles triangulate back. Very quick and easy to add and remove the tower to convert from fishing to skiing and back. I had this (or one very much like it) for my bass boat.
http://www.iboats.com/Bass-Boat-Thr...0805062--session_id.922596580--view_id.164614
If you have a centered fishing seat mount apx 4 ft from the transom this may be your best solution.

Chilligeorge

Cadet
If doing the simple eyes through the transom... they will be HEAVY duty tow eyes. Generally the holes are drilled above the at anchor waterline. Large thick washers inside and outside to spread load

These have to catch the heaviest part of the transom (if it isn't the same thickness the entire transom) or they'll pull through.

There is a kit used for putting a ski pylon onto Bass boats which has the pylon screw into one of the seat post mounts and then has 2 support poles triangulate back. Very quick and easy to add and remove the tower to convert from fishing to skiing and back. I had this (or one very much like it) for my bass boat.
http://www.iboats.com/Bass-Boat-Thr...0805062--**********.922596580--view_id.164614
If you have a centered fishing seat mount apx 4 ft from the transom this may be your best solution.

I have a pole and two stand offs like you describe from another boat that main pole mounted to a bracket lagged to the deck and two lateral poles to the back top part of boat. I could use it but seems like it would hinder the two rear seats if used

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Yes, a pylon and its supports can get in the way of some seating on some boats.

You really don't want anyone sitting there anyway, because if that ski rope fails it can snap back. (not as bad if you use the correct type rope)