How to fix a bent skeg

Anthonym2

Seaman
Hi All
I must of hit something because my skeg is slightly bent. Any recommendations on staightening this out? The local marina said to try adjusting the touqure tab to counter act.....and my friend said to wait until the end of the season.
I would just ride it out but the left turns are a little rough and the boat pitches more than normal.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170623_155035_resized.jpg
    20170623_155035_resized.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 5

Thalasso

Commander
Listen to your marina. You can break it off if your not carefull.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would just go ahead and bite the bullet and have it repaired by a shop. Better than breaking it off!

Anthonym2

Seaman
Ok, so it appears the tourque tab will work. I adjusted it and the boat actually goes to the left now, so ill need to play around a little to see how straight i can get it. I dont think there is any harm im doing by riding this out until the end of the season.?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are ways to straighten that. Use a piece of wood as a backer plate and either tap gently on the outer edge with a rubber mallet or use some clamps to pull the aluminum towards the wood backer plate. It isn't that difficult to do, but it does take some finesse. It is amazing how far you can bend such things without breaking them if you go slowly and wok easy with it. But harsh pounding will crack it. JMHO

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
That bend is so slight, I doubt it has any effect on steering. I've had far worse, that had no effect.

Probably just the torque tab out of adjustment.

leave it be.

The skeg is there to protect your prop, looks like it worked just fine.

Maclin

Admiral
So, was the left turn handling ok, then started acting up, and then you noticed the skeg was bent? Just wondering what evidence you are attributing the handling problem to the bent skeg.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
We've always just used two large Hammers, one for support and one for 'Adjusting'

robert graham

Admiral
Not a very bad bend from the photo...maybe just leave it alone and screw with the trim tab some.....most outboards pull some with power anyway

Anthonym2

Seaman
Thanks for all the info. To answer the question, i noticed the steering issue, then took it out of the water to the marina and we noticed the skeg, so yes, we think that is the steering issue. I do have a little more slop than normal in the steering, but the marina said it wasnt to bad and i should just keep an eye on it because if it does get worse it could be an issue.
Finally, i tweaked the tab today and it seems to be pretty close to normal....although slight the bent skeg definitely had an effect because at aroubd 20 mph it pulled to the right noticeably.

This forum is awsome, im not sure where else i would be able to talk about this stuff!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for all the info. To answer the question, i noticed the steering issue, then took it out of the water to the marina and we noticed the skeg, so yes, we think that is the steering issue. I do have a little more slop than normal in the steering, but the marina said it wasnt to bad and i should just keep an eye on it because if it does get worse it could be an issue.
Finally, i tweaked the tab today and it seems to be pretty close to normal....although slight the bent skeg definitely had an effect because at aroubd 20 mph it pulled to the right noticeably.

This forum is awsome, im not sure where else i would be able to talk about this stuff!

Do you have power tilt and trim? If so, you can counter-act the pull with the trim. But bare in mind, at different speed it can pull to one side more then the other. It is the nature of boating do to the rotation of the prop. JMHO