App for chartplotting

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking for an app to help plan out trips in and around the ICW in South Carolina...any suggestions? I've got a Lowrance GPS on the boat but would like to be able to research routes and whatnot on my smartphone or iPad. What do you use? Are there any good free apps?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Doesn't Lowrance have one? Thought they did. Do you want an app to chart courses and destinations on your ipad, then upload to your GPS? If you're just for for information about your possible destinations, then Active Captain seems to be the choice. Haven't used it myself, but it gets great reviews.

For plotting on my laptop, then uploading to my chartplotter I use OpenCPN. It takes some work to learn it and you have to dl individual charts from NOAA, but it works and it's free.

My .02

southkogs

Staff member
Nothing free that I know of that's worthwhile. But I really liked using Navionics on the intercostals around Naples, Florida. I use it up here in Middle Tennessee quite a bit.

briangcc

Commander
Navionics for android is 30 day full function trial and then minimal cost to purchase.

Scotvl

Cadet
MX mariner is what I use but it's android only and it's only 8 bucks.