What Makes For A Good Marine Service?

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Since buying our 1992 Celebrity 200 Cuddy in April 2009, we've had three different marine service centers work on it. All three service centers have given us some type of problem.

One didn't install a gas gauge right and had to take the boat back. Like a vehicle, boaters don't like taking their boat back to the shop for a re-do on a repair. Then, the same mechanic put a tear in a new prop while checking new manifolds and risers we had installed. The owner was going to repair the prop until I told him that it was a new prop and I really wanted a new prop to replace it.

Another shop, a "backyard marine mechanic" type had us paid for all parts before he ordered them. His repair shop looked pretty disgusting and he had no problem lighting up a cigarette in front of a customer while he was working. His hourly labor was cheap, but his shop and office looked terrible. Had him do work on our boat engine, but only once.

The marine service that we go to now, and have been going to off-and-on since we bought the boat in '09, doesn't inform the customer about their boat. Basically, the customer has to call to see what the status of their boat repair is. The hourly labor fee is higher than the other two we've gone to, but they are a Mercruiser dealer and have done an "above average" job on our boat repairs. The office person and lead mechanic are very nice, but their Customer Service skills pretty much aren't there. Our boat is being serviced there right now. And, btw, this marine service is right next to the Dry Storage where we keep our boat. Very convenient, but the "informing customers about their boat" thing is what gets me.

So, what make a good-to-excellent marine service? I'd give the Mercruiser shop a 5-Star rating, but with their Customer Service, there's no way.

What do you think? .

alldodge

Staff member
There are all kinds and from the sound of it you have not been taken to the cleaners so count yourself lucky. If you want a top notch everything, your going to pay for it big time. I paid good, but not high dollar for a bottom paint sanding job, and they to would not call when it was done. They told me about when it would be done, and I waited another day, and yes it was done.

Boaters are folks which want their boats now, so they expect you to call, if you don't and they have a good rep for good work, mostly they do not care

andrewdouv

Cadet
That would drive me nuts if I had to nag the guys to find out when my boat was done. Might be worth suggestimg to them.. say basically what you said here it seems like they do the best work and from a customer service standpoint it would make them much more appealing to new customers and save both of you time and unnecessary phone calls.. maybe they can improve or change their system

oldjeep

Admiral
If you are going to own an old boat you really need to be your own mechanic for most stuff. Otherwise you'll find it cheaper to own nearly new and you won't waste half the season at the shop.

In answer to your actual question, find a major dealer that services your brand engine/drive. The discount places you typically get what you pay for. I wouldn't expect any marine garage to be calling you unless they find something unexpected or the boat is done.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
To me a good shop gives me an accurate estimate of the cost upfront, does the work properly the first time and the final cost is pretty close to the estimate. I have no problem making a 2 minute phone call to see if the work is done. Luckily, my shop is only 3 miles from my house and I drive by it 3 to 4 times a week on my way into town. I can usually tell if the work is done be noting whether my boat has been moved or not.

Maclin

Admiral
Sounds like the 3rd place described has most bullet points covered! Like Wine, Women, and Song, 2 of 3 ain't bad kinda thing. Needing to call is pretty normal, they must have a lot of room for boats in various stages of repair and do not get in a hurry to make room and get boats out of there. Seems they are in a very convenient location for you as well.

Anthonym2

Seaman
Im on my first boat, 2nd season, and by boat is a 1980. The boat shop near me makes all the difference, im not a mechanic and i dont want to be one. Im handy, so i can troubleshoot things and fix very minor stuff, but the shop is very honest and frankly, i dont care how much their hourly rate is because there so honest with me i feel ive already saved money by not fixing stuff they said wasnt worth it on an old boat.

LuvBoating

If you are going to own an old boat you really need to be your own mechanic for most stuff. Otherwise you'll find it cheaper to own nearly new and you won't waste half the season at the shop.

In answer to your actual question, find a major dealer that services your brand engine/drive. The discount places you typically get what you pay for. I wouldn't expect any marine garage to be calling you unless they find something unexpected or the boat is done.

​Can't, and won't, be a mechanic for our boat. I can do a few minor things, but that's it. After a hip replacement and two rotator cuff surgeries, I feel pretty lucky I can do what I do at 68 years old.

​We have put TO much money into this boat to sell and get a newer one. Lower half of the engine is new as well as carb, alternator, plugs, belts and starter. Also, manifolds and risers, part of the stern has been redone, new batteries, transom assy. and trim pump/switch. And, after some dash wiring problems are taken care of and a new trim gauge is installed, we will be having a new cockpit cover made for it. Yes, we've definitely put some money into this boat!.

​I will be stopping by the shop tomorrow to check on the "wiring" problems.

​Wife and I get along very good with this Mercruiser shop, so I may be "barking up the wrong side of the tree" too much. Currently, they have a number of boats that are waiting for repair and the need another mechanic, because one ended up quitting. The Lead Mechanic is a very nice guy and really knows his stuff, but we just don't know how hard our "older" boat is getting for repairs. From what I've seen, typically they don't get old boats in for repair. Ours is a 1992.

Maclin

Admiral
Sounds like you see this boat the same way your wife must see you, as a "Keeper" :)

LuvBoating

Sounds like you see this boat the same way your wife must see you, as a "Keeper" :)

​We both laughed, but you definitely have it right. With no kids/grandkids, our boat and firearms are our babies. Our next baby will be a young Shih Tzu pup......in the future sometime.

Spence340

Seaman Apprentice
Speaking of good, honest shops who know what they are doing can anyone recommend one in eastern Massachusetts or lower cape?

LuvBoating

Currently, our Mercruiser shop only has one mechanic, who is actually their Lead Mechanic. One mechanic had to quit due to health problems and don't know what happened to a couple of others. The office manager is even helping the Lead Mechanic, when he needs her. So, they are definitely short-handed.

He installed the new Trim Pump I bought, a new Trim Gauge and fixed our speedometer. They told me all three are working fine. Haven't been able to really confirm that yet, due to high heat, humidity. At our age, we're not suppose to be "out and about" very much with the kind of heat/humidity we've been having. The drive is staying in the full upright position, without using the drive supports, so we know the new pump is working fine.

​Now, the boat is going back to the shop area to have all of the old gas (3 years old) drained and a new filter put on. We originally thought we'd just run the old gas out on the water, but have decided not to do that. The lower part of our engine is only about 3 years old and don't want to mess up the engine running any more old gas thru it.

​BTW, I have found out that I get much better response from them thru e-mail than the phone.

drrpm

It sounds like the third shop covers most bases adequately, I'd be satisfied with that.

LuvBoating

It sounds like the third shop covers most bases adequately, I'd be satisfied with that.

​Yes. We don't have to trailer the boat to anywhere. The dry storage forklift driver just takes our boat out of our spot and puts it in their area. Very convenient, just like being in dry storage is,

LuvBoating

Well, one thing for sure, the Mercruiser shop were at sure doesn't have to worry about business! There Work Order files on the wall are almost full. I stopped in there yesterday and was surprised at how much work they have. Perhaps the two reviews I gave them online has helped.

​They will be draining all the old gas out of the tank, putting on a new gas filter and putting some Primer in the carb. That could be done today. So, guess new/fresh gas will help with how the engine runs? On the muffs, it's been running a little rough with this 3 year old gas in the tank. The carb is a new one (to us). It's a remanufactured one. Got to be better than our old one that had been rebuilt three times.

briangcc

Commander
Good to hear they're working with you.

Around my neck of the woods, most marinas are good at communicating with the customer IF they actually sell new boats as well. So if they're a dealer for FourWinns, Chaparral, Stracraft, etc, they seem to do well in checking in when authorization is needed for repairs and notification when its ready for pickup.

When I've run into problems, it's usually with marinas that are only marinas - no boat sales. And I have to call, and call, and call, and well you get the idea...to even get any hint as to when it might be ready.

I've had exceptions to both of the above as well where a marina with new boat sales had their service department stuck up an orifice or two - How my brand new (at the time) FourWinns was taking on water and it was deemed NORMAL I'll never understand. And I ran into a good marina that only services boats.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Oldjeep hit the nail on the head. Owning a boat, there will always need something to be fixed clean,wax, or repair. Doing it yourself you will be better able to do these things, when there is no one able to help you. And more important, you will learn what makes everything tic. I enjoy working on my boats as much as I do riding on them. Sometimes I am thankful, I'm not rich enough to have other people work on my boats. The world best service is your own. Dave-R

LuvBoating

Oldjeep hit the nail on the head. Owning a boat, there will always need something to be fixed clean,wax, or repair. Doing it yourself you will be better able to do these things, when there is no one able to help you. And more important, you will learn what makes everything tic. I enjoy working on my boats as much as I do riding on them. Sometimes I am thankful, I'm not rich enough to have other people work on my boats. The world best service is your own. Dave-R

​That is, IF a person is physically, and mentally, able to do the mechanical work. When I was in my 30's and 40's, I had no real problem doing mechanical work, but I still limited myself to only certain things on vehicles. Didn't do brakes or major engine repairs. I just wasn't meant to be any kind of mechanic. I loved computer/desk work. Spent numerous years working warehouse and such jobs and couldn't wait to get a desk job.

​However, there are little things that I can do on a boat, like change ignition switch, check oil, adjust carb and take the dual batteries out for the winter and recharge them. Other than that, it is a must that a qualified marine mechanic do anything else. My wife pretty much does the cleaning and waxing of the boat.

LuvBoating

An update here:

​The gas tank is now empty and the mechanic told me that the gas was really bad looking when it was taken out. I looked it up and found that the gas was actually 5 years old instead of 3 years old. He was suppose to change the combo gas/water separator filter, but didn't. So, I bought one from the marine service and will see if I can get the old one off and replace it. Had to buy an oil filter wrench as well. Mechanic told me that if I can't get it off, to let him know. The marine service is so backed up with work, I don't want our boat sitting for weeks waiting to have the filter changed. I know a new filter is pretty much mandatory for a new tank of gas, so will give it my best try to replace it. But, if I can't get it off, will have to wait until he can get to it. Neither wife nor I want to wait for that to happen.

​Hopefully, with new/fresh gas, our engine will "hummmmmm" nicely.