What's the best way to price 16 MFG?

Sailor Ed

Recruit
I have a 1980 16 foot MFG with an 85+ Johnson and a nearly new trailer. I have absolutely no idea how to price this boat, motor and trailer. I can't find any comparable sales in my area and therefore have nothing to use as a baseline.

The boat and motor are in fair condition. Any thoughts suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I would like to sell this boat but have no idea what a fair asking price should be? The boat is located in Connecticut.

Thanks!!

Ed

roffey

Commander
First thing to keep in mind is its a 37 year old boat motor and trailer. I am not putting your boat down but there are so many considerations in a older boat. Depends on condition, the area your from, the condition of the boat, what the boat has for extras oh and did I mention the condition of the boat.....

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Ed. I would be looking to the closest CraigsList to me online and sorting through some of the boats to see what they were priced at. Then evaluate your MFG and go off that.

First guess in my area if the boat was in good shape the outboard ran well, $1,600 to $2,000.

:welcome:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
IMO, a seller with a 37 year old rig in 'fair' condition needs to find a buyer that wants a cheap project. Period. I see the same marginal boats sit on craigslist sometimes for several years. Put it up at $1,000. and be thankful you don't have to pay to scrap it.

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess is you list it for $1000, and sell it for $800

not much call for a 37 year old entry level boat

MFG's last year of making boats was 1980

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe $1,000. I paid $3500 for my 1977 MFG tri hull because I know the history of it from day 1. I knew it was always kept in a garage all its life and well maintained. I know the 'book value' would be only around $800 :)

Sailor Ed

Recruit
Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I was thinking in the $1200 range - mainly because the trailer is nearly new.
Any sense in trying to bring it up from "fair" to "excellent"? Cost and effort wise?
Ed

jbcurt00

Staff member
.....Any sense in trying to bring it up from "fair" to "excellent"? Cost and effort wise?
Ed

No, none, unfortunately. Likely to spend 2500 (or easily more) and be lucky to recoup half of it when you sell it. Unless you find someone who wants 1, and would pay dearly to get it.

Flipping old boats is a difficult job that doesnt pay particularly well in 99% of the cases.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you want to make a small fortune flipping boats.......start with a large fortune

82rude

Rear Admiral
Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I was thinking in the $1200 range - mainly because the trailer is nearly new.
Any sense in trying to bring it up from "fair" to "excellent"? Cost and effort wise?
Ed

A wash and wax can go a long way to impressing a potential buyer as long as said boat and motor are sound.Neatness impresses.

Sailor Ed

Recruit
Thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my questions. I think the consensus is $1000 as an asking price.

Sailor Ed