Used boat shopping -Thompson, Stingray or Cobalt?

Cljbeck

Cadet
Hello,

I'm used boat shopping and have found a few possibilities, so was hoping for some advice. One is a 1996 19 foot Cobalt, 4.3 L engine, low hours and great condition. The second is a 1995 20 foot Thompson, 5.0 L engine, also low hours in great condition. The Cobalt is a significant amount more money, and I'm wondering if it is worth the difference. I've never heard of Thompson?

Another possibility is a 2007 19 foot Stingray, but it just came on the market and we don't have a price and haven't seen that one yet, but I was wondering how that brand compares with the other two.

I'm not very knowledgeable about boats, so any advice would be welcome. We are looking to use the boat for skiing, tubing and cruising on a small lake.

thanks!

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
I've seen Thompson boats but don't know much either. I do like their lines. Cobalt is a top tier boat. You will pay for that and I would always consider going that way depending on the price and overall condition. Stingrayaxe makes a nice lower tier boat. They are known for their very efficient hulls. They run faster with less HP. It all comes down to condition. Find someone or pay someone to check them out for you. Always insist on a sea trial. Good luck.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Both brands have been around for a long time. Cobalt is high end with a good rep. BUT, they're both 20 years old. Brand becomes almost meaningless after awhile, and it's all about how the boats were maintained and stored. A Cobalt's transom and stringers can turn to rotted mush just as quickly as a Thompson's. If you don't know what to look for, you need to hire a professional to check out the boat you like best.

My .02

tpenfield

Staff member
Thompson is out of business and with good reason.

Cobalt is a higher end brand (think Cadillac) . .

Stingray is an economy brand (think Kia) and lightly built.

Brand-wise Cobalt is your winner. However, the age of the Cobalt would warrant a good inspection to validate the condition. The only thing about the Cobalt is the 4.3 engine is not overly powering, but should be adequate.

See if you can find a newer Cobalt . . .

roffey

Commander
I agree with ted, maybe the Stingray is a Oldsmobile and the Cobalt is defiantly a Cadillac, lol

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Cobalt has a reputation of being a High Quality boat. However, even the best engineered, best material, and best construction can and will fall prey to lack of maintenance. A properly done survey/inspection could very well be money well spent. Myself, I would reject the Cobalt just because of the small engine

jkust

Rear Admiral
Thompson is a non-starter for multiple reasons...the Cobalt is just several generations old so even if in perfect shape, it's just very dated which is fine for some but not for others. Cobalt even in the early 2000's to me was behind the curve with some of their interior design as compared to some other brands. Of course I live at my lake home on a large lake during the summer and have friends with just about every boat you can think of so know so many boats pretty well. I very much dislike Stingrays for their entry level materials and light hulls but in this trio of selections, I would take the nearly new-in-boat-years, Stingray unless it had a 3.0 and of course assuming it was perfect condition or I would keep right on shopping. My one and only Minivan many years ago was an Oldsombile and was one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

Cljbeck

Cadet
Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to think about! The Cobalt is being prepped for sale by a marine place that is inspecting, tuning up, and buffing up, so I THINK they are giving it a good inspection, but the transom and stringers are good things to ask about. The engine looks immaculate to an untrained eye, and the boat looks almost new with what they have done so far. I thought the 4.3 was a good engine on a 19 foot boat, so am surprised to read comments that it might not be enough. Is it because the boat is wider and heavier than other 19 footers? We do mostly skiing and tubing with people weighing 150 or less, and nothing too aggressive. Will the 4.3 serve that?

We haven't been able to see the Stingray yet, but it is priced about $1000 more than the Cobalt. So, newer boat, lower tier brand...not sure how that equals out! That one is being sold by another marina as is, and I'm not sure how the condition or hours compares to the Cobalt yet.

I think I'm scared away from the Thompson now!

thanks again!

roffey

Commander
IMHO, a 4.3 is lots for a 19 foot boat.

Ten years difference between the Cobalt and the Stingray.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to think about! The Cobalt is being prepped for sale by a marine place that is inspecting, tuning up, and buffing up, so I THINK they are giving it a good inspection, but the transom and stringers are good things to ask about. The engine looks immaculate to an untrained eye, and the boat looks almost new with what they have done so far. I thought the 4.3 was a good engine on a 19 foot boat, so am surprised to read comments that it might not be enough. Is it because the boat is wider and heavier than other 19 footers? We do mostly skiing and tubing with people weighing 150 or less, and nothing too aggressive. Will the 4.3 serve that?

We haven't been able to see the Stingray yet, but it is priced about $1000 more than the Cobalt. So, newer boat, lower tier brand...not sure how that equals out! That one is being sold by another marina as is, and I'm not sure how the condition or hours compares to the Cobalt yet.

I think I'm scared away from the Thompson now!

thanks again!
The cobalt looks about average weight for a 19 footer with a narrow beam of 8'1" but this is the 90's and boats weren't all at the full 8'6" legal limit yet. I would want to make sure that the cobalt has a 1996 4.3 in it and not the previous generation 1995 version. The 96 was a big leap year for Mercruiser as they added vortec heads and intake so more torque and hp. It isn't totally unheard of to have a 96 boat with a 95 leftover engine in it.

Cljbeck

Cadet
Is there a way to tell by looking if it is the 96 or 95 engine? It says 4.3 LX Thunderbolt Ignition on it. Sorry if that's a stupid question!

Also, is there a way for a non professional to look for transom or stinger rot? I'm assuming the two boats sold by the marinas would be checked for that , but double checking couldn't hurt.

Thanks!

Cljbeck

Cadet
One more question... it shows that engine at 180 hp. Enough for the Cobalt? Thanks again

roffey

Commander
if its a 96 it is likely a 180 hp unless it has a 4 barrel carb then its 220 (I think). My boat is 20 feet and has a 7'10" beam and is a little wider than most. Before I get beat up comparing apples to apples the Cobalt is similar to the Stingray (I know the cobalt is a better quality boat), I have a 4.3 190hp merc and can just touch 55mph on the GPS, as I said the 4.3 is lots for a 19 foot boat.

Cljbeck

Cadet
Thanks!

Just wondering, with Thompson out of business, would it be hard to get parts for repair down the line, or are most parts universal? I'm wondering if that boat should still be considered if the others fall through or not.

roffey

Commander
Someone can correct me here but as you say the parts are for the most part made by other manufacturers, example, motor, gauges, controls, windshields and tops are for the most part made by manufactures other than the one that made the boat. If the boat is older or as some call it vintage, if the hull structure is solid and the motor is good you should be ok but as stated by 3rdtimesthecharm a survey should reveal all including suggested price and comparable boats along with defects and problem spots plus I believe the surveyor is accountable for their inspection. Might cost you a thousand but think of what it will save if the boat is in poor condition.

tpenfield

Staff member
Parts are universal. Thompson may not be a good choice regardless of part availability

jkust

Rear Admiral
Is there a way to tell by looking if it is the 96 or 95 engine? It says 4.3 LX Thunderbolt Ignition on it. Sorry if that's a stupid question!

Also, is there a way for a non professional to look for transom or stinger rot? I'm assuming the two boats sold by the marinas would be checked for that , but double checking couldn't hurt.

Thanks!

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The engine will say vortec on It if it is a 96 or newer. 2750lbs is fine for a v6. Its actually light by various modern 18 foot boat dry weights versus the 19 foot cobalt and I bet it doesn't have a large gas tank either. With correct propping for the task at hand it will be more than enough. My last chaparral newer than my current was over 3000lbs dry with a 33 gallon gas tank at 18 feet with a 190hp v6. The v6 got challenged when you started putting 4 adults plus some kids on with a 21 pitch prop. Had I popped a 19 on there it would've been fine. It got a GPS top speed of 52. The previous chaparral needed the 270 hp v8 option to not need to worry about propping but I didn't get that. The v6 is a little powerhouse actually.

Cljbeck

Cadet
OK, so I have a bit more information now. The Cobalt 190 has the 1996 4.3 engine and 300 hours on it, asking 11,900. The Stingray 195, 2007, has only 46 hours on a 4.3 engine, asking 13,000. The Thompson 2000, from 1995, has a 5 l, asking 5500, minimal use but no hour meter. Any thoughts on age versus brand versus price? We are confused!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Everybody has their opinion. Mine is that the Thompson is the Kia, Cobalt the Caddy and Stingray the Olds. When Stingray was first evaluated by Powerboats Magazine the year after they were founded, they called it a "Floating Oldsmobile"

Cobalts are nice, but condition is everything. The 'ray is the only choice in your comparison, all else being equal, strictly because it beats the others by quite a few years.