broken transom drain plug

freakyreef

Recruit
So I am an idiot. I freely admit this. I broke the brass transom drain plug. This is on a new Starcraft 2000OB deckboat. Been in the water 4 times. Any thoughts on removing this? I was thinking ezout but the brass is so soft I imagine it will just strip. Nearest boat shop is 3 hours away. We are leaving for our trip to Minnesota from Colorado in 2 weeks. Last resort would be stop along the way somewhere. I have owned boats for years but this is the first one with this style of drain plug. Can I remove the 3 screws and remove the plate?
Any help is appreciated.
​Thanks

Attachments

• photo268252.jpg
    photo268252.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 0

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
You can remove the screws and replace the whole thing (use 3m 5200 to install)....Or just drill it out and remove the plug.
It should not be a big deal! Don't stress over it (not a big deal)...

freakyreef

Recruit
I was hoping it would be that simple. When I pull it off the boat, if there is residue left on the hull how tough is the old sealant to remove from the gelcoat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take a 1/8 drill bit and drill and make a series of small holes in a line, then connect them so you have a slot. stick a big screw driver in there and remove the brass plug. you may need to put a pliers on the screw driver for torque

then go to your hardware store and buy another.

you should be out about a buck and 20 minutes time

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Also, they do not need to be as tight as you think. You just snug them up, a little, and you are good to go. Many use thread sealer and crank them in super tight, witch makes the screws wiggle, and breaks the seal so water begins to soak up in the transom and rots it away. No sealer on the threads, they are tapered pipe threads and they don't leak if snugged properly.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1/3 turn past finger tight is more than you need on a pipe plug

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
take a 1/8 drill bit and drill and make a series of small holes in a line, then connect them so you have a slot. stick a big screw driver in there and remove the brass plug. you may need to put a pliers on the screw driver for torque

then go to your hardware store and buy another.

you should be out about a buck and 20 minutes time

This is about what I would do, and if that dont work drill a biger hole, and collapse the plug on itself carefully not to damage threads!, it may evan back it slef out enough while drilling to remove with your finger. removing the whole drain may be a huge Pain in the A$$ its probably allready glued on their preatty tight with 5200, but if this is the route you gota go still not the end of the world. just scrape it clean with sharb knifes and mabie a chisel

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
It looks like there is enough material left for you to get some vice grips on it and unscrew it.

Maclin

Admiral
I have had good luck with left hand drill bits, just don't start out with one too small. Drill a small hole in the middle with a right hand, 1/8 or so. Then try a larger lefthand, may come right on out with that one.

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
very easy fix .. not a big deal .. 15min job if you take your time..!!