refurbing a 14' 82 tuffy custom rogue for fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickrabies

Cadet
Hi everyone, from Iowa.
Bought a boat and trailer dirt cheap. Boat is in nasty shape.
I've already put on new tires/wheels. old ones were very bad, but still a good deal

My first question is (in title) how heavy is this boat? I don't see it on any tag on the boat.
I've tried searching for pics of this boat with no luck.
the inside sides have a shelf curb thing, it false. can I cut into these for storage? or is this structural?

The floor space is fiberglass and not wood as I presumed...Im sure I cant cut into the floor because its not false and structural and any cutting would go straight through ?? theres a strip of wood in the middle, haven't unscrewed it yet. but guy says you can see foam and hull under it...so there might be space?
Because of that i might built it up 8-10" so I have floor compartments.
will be used only with trolling motor on small lakes.

Anyone with this kind of boat, I would appreciate any advice/suggestions to tackle this little budget family fishing boat project.

the bad:
hand crank is jacked up. cable is haggard(new ones are cheap, $20)
piece of top C channel trim missing off top of transom..that is rotted. (might hack at it while vacuuming out chunks then slide in new wood)
carpet is nasty shape

the good:
it floats
has bilge pump already
a new spare tire
new trailer taillights
dirt cheap, so I don't feel bad about its condition.

the idea is to redo carpet. put hatches where I can for storage and security
put in 2 speakers(in holes that had speakers) and radio
built in battery charger
possible bimini top
front deck for troller and electronic anchor winch.
also boat has snaps around edge. would be nice to get a top that fits it. I have no overhead storage for it ATM.
POR15 the trailer.
paint boat blue
future outboard for it. maybe 25hp

NYoPVxL.jpg

9mzQ0jf.jpg

cp4TFA3.jpg

Last edited:

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good luck with everything. From my limited knowledge I would strongly suggest that you take a good look at the transom as the missing trim may have left it open to water ingress . Lots of posts on here regarding same and steps meeded to repair any damage.

rickrabies

Cadet
got new tires on it.
painted trailer with por 15
ripping carpet out today
got treated 3/4 plywood. seems like over kill. drill holes in it for water drain to hull? the sides aren't false they are filled with foam

9an2iO7.jpg

fWPn9gE.jpg

Last edited:

rickrabies

Cadet
i have not quit. removed all rotten wood from transom pocket. all cleaned out and dry. ready for new 2 sheets of 3/8 boards.
i have treated wood cut for deck and floor. with carpet glued down and stapled. looks good.
over the past few weeks(as time permitted) i patched fiberglass holes all over the inside along the walls. some of it was rotted. sanded the whole inside of all old glue and carpet residue.

last night i got a gallon of grey duraback painted on. awesome stuff.
Ue497Lp.jpg

dgXU0ul.jpg

also found a boat just like mine on google. cant wait to go fishing. will be done before winter.
LKzOnoJ.jpg

rickrabies

Cadet
here was the fiberglass work.
zO94zXp.jpg

the wood for the deck cut
GVJ8ylJ.jpg

and the trailer painted with por15, new winch(strap) and new wheels and tires put on
f3rn1qe.jpg

rickrabies

Cadet
got the rest of the wood cut. wrapped in carpet and installed. along with trolling bracket/mount . 30# motorguide whisper pro
AOlR1aT.jpg

CsJrb1l.jpg

uMKSIdG.jpg

sgfe6gU.jpg

2qZtntR.jpg

Huds2

Recruit
Hey I’m restoring the same boat and I’m currently cutting out the old floor and I was wondering how you cut the old floor out thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey I’m restoring the same boat and I’m currently cutting out the old floor and I was wondering how you cut the old floor out thanks.

The OP left almost 2 years ago, If you want answers, plenty of members will offer help if you start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.