I'm back. Quick question regarding new boat

MarioTwins

Seaman
So I'm back. I lost motivation after finding out how bad my old boat was. But now I've found a boat I really really want.

It's a 1993 16' spectrum aluminum boat

It has a merc 60 horse on it and a merc 9.9 kicker
It looks absolutely immaculate
And it's a boat I really want

Any idea what it should go for
He's asking 7500 firm

Should I wait or ?
Says he's got paperwork. Just had it all checked out before selling

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Sounds about the very top of the range price for Ontario MarioTwins if really mint and depending on add ons. Condition, condition. I just read your thread about your last project, sorry it went bad. You won't be the first to buy a floor and transom rotting scow with the best intentions nor the last. The structural integrity is the first thing we look at, if it looks bad it usually is. That carpet and engine would have made me think twice about how well it was cared for.

You were talking about a fishing boat last time. Are you still? That isn't a fishing boat for here on The Great Lakes let alone in B.C. on salt water. Too small. No need for a kicker with only a 60, unless for back up in my experience.

Pusher

Lieutenant
16' for fishing is a little small for my liking but I don't like being in a crowded space. Seems a little expensive for 16' but then it would fly with a 60' and probably have little draft.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Aluminum boats sell for a premium here in the PNW and if well taken care of then it's worth it. BC has lots of water that isn't salty.

82rude

Rear Admiral
If its in the ballpark for your region price wise have at er.Usually this time of year boats are priced at a premium.Where i live some people believe that their old tubs are made of gold.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
In 2004 I bought a 2002 18' alum bass boat with a 90 Merc 2 stroke, all the trimmings, really clean, low hours, well cared for, on a nice trailer for $6000......that I wanted to keep and did for about 12 years. I felt like I stole it. Had more fun with that boat, my last, than any other.

$7500 sounds sorta high but the 9.9 tosses in some variance. What matters is what you think it's worth to you. If you are to keep it, it matters not. If you are going to flip it then it's not worth much to you and you want a low ball on the purchase. That's the way I look at it.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Is he asking $7500CAD or $7500US?

$7500CAD = $5658US right now.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Spectrum's weren't the best. And make sure that "merc" is indeed a merc and not a Merc-Force.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I can find a dozen bigger glass boats of the same era to 1 good aluminum around these parts. People are just too happy to donate the trailer to get a 25 year old glass boat off the property. People that have a well cared for aluminum fishing boats of an older vintage even can name their price this time of year around here. All 3 that we sold this year weren't even marketed on Boat Trader or Kijiji etc. Put them out front with a sign on them and all sold within a week for asking, 1 sold for more when 2 guys both wanted it. A friend just sold his 16 foot Lund with a 115 Merc for what he paid for it over 10 years ago and he took off all the electronics and electric downriggers and bow mount that came with it originally.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
ezmobee has an excellent point! Make sure it's a true Merc and not the Merc-Force. I don't remember what they did there, if it was a Merc power head and a Force lower, or vice versa. Or just a re-baged Merc.
That boat probably cost $7500.00 US brand new. Spectrums were kind of an entry level boat. That said, the right person can buy an entry level boat and have it for a lifetime if treated properly.

For that kind of money I bet you could find a nice used Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft or a Starcraft all of which would be a much more robust boat.

82rude

Rear Admiral
OP is on Vancouver Island so he,s hostage to slim pickins at premium prices most likely.So 7500 is in cnd dollars not u.s.d. Been to Ladysmith it a beautiful area.

MarioTwins

Seaman
Thanks for all the help
I made the drive to look at it. Made an offer. But he was hesitant with me taking it away with just a bill of sale (wich is all that'snrequired as far as I knew)
So I said I'd possibly come back in the weekend for it if it wasent sold.

The following morning I got a call from my wife. Her mom and husband just got a new boat so I said "we'll I want there old boat"
It's a 16.5' double eagle that I've wanted ever since I saw it.

So anyways a deal was made and now I have a boat. Might be picking it up this weekend. I'm sure there will be a thread on it once I get it home

Thanks again for answering my original post