1987 Quicksilver Throttle Handle Removal

Hi there,

I recently purchased a 1987 Fourwinns Horizon 190 inboard/outboard and I am in the process of reupholstering the interior. I've been trying to remove the throttle handle on the right side panel for a week now and I'm still stuck. Thanks to forums like this, I found the relevant pages of the manual for the throttle, but the handle won't come off after I removed the hex screw holding the handle onto the shaft.

I'm attaching a photo... does the lock pin (the black pin to the left of the wires) need to be removed in order to take the handle off the shaft?

Thanks for any help.

Rick

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It most likely has been on there for 30 years. They are generally all the same. Most just have the centre screw to the shaft holding it, not sure I picture the black pin off hand. Give it a soak in penetrating fluid and gently start prying it off with a wide flat head screw driver. Be gentle.

Oh... I see the photo I posted... I guess no one else can see it though.. That's a bummer.

I'll post a couple more posts and see if that changes.

Alumarine

Captain
If it has the plastic button at the base of the handle that you use to put it into throttle only mode then try putting the lever in forward and popping out that button.
I'm not sure what year those kind came in.

If it has the plastic button at the base of the handle that you use to put it into throttle only mode then try putting the lever in forward and popping out that button.
I'm not sure what year those kind came in.

Thanks Marc... that is exactly the button! I've tried pulling that button out but it doesn't want to budge. I'm afraid of breaking it...

Alumarine

Captain
It won't budge if the throttle is not in forward.
When in forward it should pop right out and there is an 11/16" nut behind it.

This method won't work for all controls.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
You are talking about a Quicksilver Commander 3000 probably, the one with the big black button. I had to grind mine off. Ebay sells controls at a great price. I got my replacement here. Wink!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If I remember correctly, on my '88 SeaRay/Mercruiser, the throttle only button had to be popped out to remove the handle. Then there were some screws under a finisher, which needed to come out.

My current Johnson OB control throttle arm has an allen screw. The motor must be put at full throttle in forward to get to it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If I remember correctly, on my '88 SeaRay/Mercruiser, the throttle only button had to be popped out to remove the handle. Then there were some screws under a finisher, which needed to come out.

My current Johnson OB control throttle arm has an allen screw. The motor must be put at full throttle in forward to get to it.

The 3000 has one and it's at that position too. But the corrosion is between the shaft and the arm. Can't comment on the cap being out or not. Don't recall but I did spend a goodly amount of time on mine before I gave up and got out the dremel.

Yeah... I think I may be going the Dremel route too... ugh. I've got a local boat mechanic coming over to hopefully help me get it off in the morning, but I may end up having to buy a new one after all.

Thanks for all the pointers and help! Boat folks are cool folks.

Well... after all that, there was a SECOND allen screw behind the first one that was keeping it in place. Sheesh. I never thought to look for a second one!

The handle came right off after removing it.