WARNING !! SWIMMING IN MARINAS

jennyo

Seaman Apprentice
AN 11 YEAR OLD GIRL WAS ELECTROUTED YESTERDAY IN TOMS RIVER WHILE FLOATING IN A INFLATED RAFT
AND TOUCHED A METAL BOAT LIFT. NOT A GOOD IDEA IN ANY MARINA OR AROUND BOAT LIFTS.
ITS PRETTY COMMON TO SEE 30 AMP POWER CORDS DRAPED IN THE WATER IN MANY MARINAS.

alldodge

Staff member
Happens quite often and I have never been at a marina that doesn't have placards statin "No Swimming". Most times its not the shore power cords, its old corroded marina wiring

Few years ago a kids dog fell in the water and started yelping, the kid jumped in to save the dog, then the Dad jumped in to save the kid, all were lost

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
ABC news just broadcast this again (Monday 6PM) and also the tragedy in Ohio.
My brothers boat has a neutral/ground isolator with fault indicator.
Something at the marina (Atlantic City) cycles on-off bringing in the alarm.

Usually salt water marina's are not as dangerous as fresh water due to water conductivity.
In Tom's river, the tragedy was not so much a swimming electrocution.

We are going to keep people out of the water at our boats(s) from here on out.

beccamonster86

Recruit
Sorry to hear it. We just took our kids out for the first time this weekend; it was tough explaining to them why it was a bad idea to swim so close to the dock. And that's just from the increased boat traffic... I hadn't even considered this as a possibility.

Maclin

Admiral
Every time I cruise thru the Marina docks I cringe when I see people going down a slide or just taking a dip on a ladder.That can seem innocous until you have read a story or two like that.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Never used any dock power myself, but I wonder why there is no Emergency Shut Off at each and every dock. I mean when I was working in electronic labs, we always had Emergency Shut Offs for just those possibilities. You would think that the local codes would demand such shut offs. :noidea: